custom numbers came in

Let me refresh memories: I posted a complaint that individual numerals didn't have a matching font (this was with an "8" and a "2"), and I think it is fairly obvious when you look at the images on scoutstuff.org.

Gold Winger posted a detailed followup that pointed out that the "2" had remained in the old "block style" font, while the other numerals had changes to a more sleek font. He also posted a link to a brochure that shows exactly the problem:

"Even more of a hoot is this. Look at the Scout on the first page of the flyer at http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/2008UniformGuide.pdf His numbers are of the old style, both digits.

Now look down a few pages where it shows the Webelos. The eight and the two in the inset don't match. (Ironic that they are the same digits that GKlose bought)"

I think I had also noted that the new embroidery looked a little cheesy, as if it was very low quality.

My solution was to place an order for custom numbers, and it certainly was easy to place the order by calling national supply (in NC). The price is very good, which I didn't expect -- it is almost the same as buying individual digits, but of course there is a minimum order of 12 sets (I figure I'll have no problem getting rid of them within the troop).

The order just came in, right on time (estimated delivery time was 4 weeks). The interesting part, to me, is that the "8" and the "2" are both the "block style" font, and they match. However, I do note that the quality is still very poor. There is a rectangular embroidered border around the digits, and it isn't entirely straight with squared corners. I'm kind of disappointed by that, but at least it looks a whole lot better than buying individual digits.

Guy(This message has been edited by GKlose)

Whats the cost of the custom numbers?

I just sewed the numbers on my leaders shirt, and what a pain in the @$$. They're impossible to keep straight.

All the boys in my Wolf den (and above) have the numbers on their shirts already, but I'm thinking long term.

We have no Tigers this year (though hoping for an influx with our January recruitment), but next year we will be looking to back fill both Tigers AND Wolves. Thought that maybe having something like the custom numerals to hand out with the rank scarves would be a nice gesture for the recruits and future leaders.

I didn't know this until just recently, but I learned from our DE that our unit (82) is coming up on 60 years old. Troop 81 in town dates back to the mid-1920s, I believe.

Sarge, I didn't pay attention to the invoice when I saw it last night, but I think it was around $19 and change for 12, and maybe $4 or $5 for shipping.

So, a "double-digit" patch is under $2 each, in quantity (3-digit and up cost more, of course). As I recall, single-digit pricing is $0.89 at the local scout shop.

But you hit exactly my idea -- last year when my son joined, the troop handed him a new handbook at his crossover. This year, since I've been taking on "membership duties", I plan on helping to revamp the crossover a little. For example, I hope to make a ritual out of replacing their neckerchiefs and their loops, give them a handbook and a set of digits. Then try and work it so they can get their Scout badges awarded to them at the first troop meeting they attend after their transfer.

Our troop has used custom 3 digit patches for longer than I have been with the troop. When a scout joins we give him a Handbook and a troop patch. Fortunately we are almost out of the red and whites so we would be reordering anyway. Given Murphey's Law I am surprised that the color change didn't happen right after we purchased 3-4 dozen patches.

Some units get their patches made with the veteran strip included on the patch. That will also save sewing (always a good thing) so we will probably do that this time as well (60+ years).

Our Pack orders about 200 at a time of both the red and the tan from our Shop. They look a whole lot better, are easier to sew on, and actually come out cheaper than 3 digits from the Scout Shop. They wind up being a little under $3 each for 3 digit numbers. I think two digit numbers are under $2. Single digit cost at the shop here is $1.19

Our troop decided to order new one piece 3 digit numbers with our recently attained 25 year veteran status reflected on the patch with the veteran bar...new patches came in this last week, they looked sharp...only one problem. The clerk at the Scout Shop put a "7" where she should have put a "2" while filling out the order form.

They are placing another order for us free of charge...any units out there numbered "131" that are 75 year veterans? National would love to hear from you if you need new one piece custom unit number patches.