Camoflage clothing with cub uniforms. What do you think?

Yah, fgoodwin, I enjoyed da letter, eh? But Mr. Ketchum is just another volunteer, writin' his personal opinion in a letter to the editor. No different than any of us blatherin' here on da forums. Only part of that which is a BSA editorial response is in italics.

Just to be clear, no one is talking about trying to imitate the uniform of the armed services.. First off, dat's a federal crime, eh? Secondly, it's against the rules and regs. The BSA's italics editorial comment is correct on that point, eh?

Imitating da uniform of the armed services is not the same thing as some boys or adults wearing hunting camouflage on an outing. Ain't even the same thing as everyone in a Venturing Crew wearing hunting camo (which I reckon some do when they go on a hunting trip, eh? :)). Boys and adults who wear hunting camo on an outing are just like boys and adults who wear North Face jackets on an outing. It's not a violation of the law. It's not a violation of da Rules & Regulations. It is not contrary to the BSA's charter. Anybody who tells yeh otherwise is either misinformed or just plain bein' mendaciously ornery.

If we're goin' to be precision scouters, I expect we can at least try to get da rules and guidelines right, eh? ;) There's enough of 'em as there is without da Scouting Urban Legend folks makin' up more! :p

the official literature tells what we CAN do, not what we CANNOT do

Yah, this too is absolutely, unequivocally false as far as unit scoutin' is concerned. Can't even imagine what gave anyone that idea. Da official literature lays out program materials which are designed to be helpful. We only bother to write things when it seems like a lot of folks are lookin' for that kind of support. For years and years in da BSA there wasn't a lick of literature on rock climbing. Wasn't until COS and climbing MB about 10 years ago that we started offering program materials on that. That did not mean that we couldn't do rock climbing. The absence of official literature just meant that there weren't any BSA program supports, and we had to build our own or use professional outfitters. Snow Sports MB is only about 6 years old or so, eh? That does not mean that before then Boy Scouts and Venturers were not allowed to snowboard. Just meant the BSA wasn't offering program materials to help. There still ain't any program supports for geocaching, or mountaineering, or sea kayaking, eh? Doesn't mean those things are forbidden.

I don't mind that some folks feel a need to be precision scouters, eh? Yah, well, OK, I mind a little ;) But da least folks can do before shoutin' "policy, policy" at other people is actually learn and understand what da policy really is. Yah, and then maybe take some time to learn how it's really interpreted and applied by those folks who actually have da authority to interpret and apply it. :)

If we're really worried about BSA adults bein' examples of good character, I reckon that's a good place for a lot of us to start.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The uniform is expensive?

Generally when I hear this I look at the Scout. He is typically wearing shoes and hooded sweat shirt cost more than the items the parent is complaining about."

Yeah and how often does the kid wear the shoes and hoodie? How about the Scout uniform?

And on another note, football and baseball, etc REQUIRE a uniform. The Boy Scouts of America does not. Pretty simple...(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

Well, the guy who said wearing camo gear is "illegal" is making some big leaps in logic. First, he is assuming that any camoflauged gear is intended to be military. That's rediculous nonsense. What about hunting gear? Second, it is another huge leap to suggest that anytime a person is wearing camo pants that he is trying to immitate a military uniform. Finally, it doesn't sound like this guy is an attorney, so I don't know that he is an authority on what is legal or illegal.

Regarding the story of a scout executive kicking out scouters for wearing camo pants, the details are left out of the story, like the name of the scout executive and the scouters involved, so we can't verify the story. It sounds like a scouter urban legend to me.

"Yeah and how often does the kid wear the shoes and hoodie? How about the Scout uniform? "

A1) As often as possible for 4 to 12 weeks depends on how long he thinks it is cool.

A2) In our Troop the Scouts wear there uniforms every Tuesday night, one weekend a month and at least one week during the summer at dinner. The Boy Scout uniform does not go out of style and its life is measured in years not weeks.

"I guess we should all be blessed to live in an area like BW. Where the funding of scouts is not an issue,

SctDad,

Please explain how your ability to say and do the right thing is somehow tied to other people's income or their choices on how to spend their money?

Families do not have to purchase the uniform for you to say what the uniform is, without altering it.

I do not uinderstand how you manage to blame your inability to excercise your responsibilities as a scout leader because of what you perceive other people's financial status to be.

The Uniform is a Method of Scouting and is no less important than any of the other Methods.