World Crest and the New Shirt

"And then decide not to wear the "world crest" unless you've been out of the country on scouting business."

That's an old concept of the BSA only.

WOSM wants all scouts around the world to wear the World Crest. In pretty much all the other countries, the World Crest is a standard part of the uniform.

"And then decide not to wear the "world crest" unless you've been out of the country on scouting business"

Mr. Boyce, I believe that you were refering to a personal choice, and not the requirments of the patch, which there are none for. Just to not confuse anyone, what you posted above was dropped in 1991, now we have the "International Activity Award" in its place. The world crest is now used "AS A SIGN OF WORLD BROTHERHOOD AND UNITY WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THE INTERNATIONAL SCOUTING COMMUNITY."

Here is a pretty good explanation of all of this http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/crest.htm

Click,

The old requirements for the world crest were abolished in 1989, not 1991. I know because I was part of an international activity that was supposed to have received the WC that year. We found out just prior to the trip that the requirements for that award were abolished and anyone could wear the WC. Ticked alot of us off. However the contingent leaders did make it up to us by issuing the WC from the country we visited. Same design, but the background was velvet. Still have it in my display case.

Eagle92, you may be very well correct on the year, as I was only 10 or 12, depending on the year, I really don't remember. The one that I listed was from the link I provided to Mike Waltons site.(This message has been edited by click23)

When Mrs Chug enrols a Beaver Scout (6-8yrs) into her colony, she hands the bright eyed little youngster their World Badge and tells the eager child that every Scout in the world wears this badge on their unform.

Now I know none of you wants to make Mr Chug a liar, and shatter those little Beaver's dreams.

Do you?(This message has been edited by Chug)

Mr. B,

I know your a minimalist, but the WC is supposed to be the one badge that every scout, no matter what nationality, or, in those countries with multiple scouting associations, or association your in. It is to remind us that no matter where we go in this great big world, there will be a brother scout there.

Yes I was ticked initially when the requirements were dropped, but over time and after 4 additional international activities I've come to realize the importance of that little badge.

So go ahead and put it on! :)

All this and not one serious reply to my original question. Anybody think that the new insignia guide will have to modify the instructions for placement of the World Crest on the new uniform? Any other comments, please take them to a new thread.

Ideadoc,

While I try to be playful in an attempt at both levity and not to come off like some posters on this board, I am serious in that if you tuck in the collar and wear a necker, you don't have the WC problem. Like I said in another post, "dang I'm old" and wear a necker with my uniform in the manner described above. Only once did I wear the necker under the collar, and I did not like it at all.

Personally I think that there are so many problems with the new uniform, that modifications will be made in the near future. While the materials may be an improvement, some of the designs changes, i.e. tech pocket, belllow pockets on shirt, no tails, the pencil pocket cutting off the rest of the pshirt pocket, ad nauseum, and their location of production are problems.

These problems are the reason I am willing to bet that you go to scoutstuff.org, you'll notice they are selling the old uniform, at full price no less.

WOSM calls it the World Scout Emblem.

"The old requirements for the world crest were abolished in 1989, not 1991."

You are right: I was stationed in Germany at the time, and there was a lot of acrimony when Transatlantic Council put out that everyone could wear the World Crest. I still have my card from earning the WC.

"When Mrs Chug enrols a Beaver Scout (6-8yrs) into her colony, she hands the bright eyed little youngster their World Badge"

For those a bit mystified here: Chug is a member of The Scout Association in the UK. They call it the World Membership Badge and use it as a joining award for each section (membership level) of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts and Scout Network.

Ed Palmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Scout_Emblem