Old uniform - current position

I've spun this off, because like another poster, I've come into possession of a couple older (1970's - 1980's vintage) female Cub Leader uniforms, which I'd like to use for my current position of Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner.

These are a navy blue dress (yes they had them - still looking for an olive one) and the two part navy blue blouse/skirt. These were items typically worn by Den Mothers or Den Leader Coaches. However, I believe district, Council and National level female Scouters wore them as well.

What's your opinion. How should I patch these? Old patches or current ones?

I have the yellow snap tie and both hats from the era (the overseas cap and the Oscar de la Renta hat). I even have a navy blue beret (like the red one which was worn for a while). The big downside is that I have to wear hose and pumps with these, rather than hiking boots, but I'll make the sacrifice :)

Tidbit I discovered when perusing some old catalogs I purchased on eBay. The first De la Renta female leader uniforms for Boy Scout leaders used the yellow blouse (NOT a tan one) with the olive pants. I always assumed the yellow was Cub leaders only - but apparently not.

I have two yellow shirts, along with two pairs of navy pants, two pairs of shorts, the culottes and a wrap around skirt (again, an older style uniform item.)

I also have a number of older yellow blouses of various styles, with several different button configurations. Not all of those fit me any longer :)

The yellow/blue combination is still sold, and is still official. Many female leaders don't care for it, and so not as many are sold or worn, but I'm a traditionalist and wear mine proudly.

I wish they would make a pair of navy blue switchback style pants in adult sizes!

Out of curiosity.. You say you want to "use" the uniform in your role as a RT Commissioner. How exactly will these uniforms help you support the leaders with the 'will to do' and the 'skill to do' the current Scouting program?

What I mean is, if as a Rountable Commissioner your role is to set the example for good uniforming, then how will showing them a uniform that is 30 years old or older help the units in your district deliver better scouting?

Is the uniform going to just be part of a display during Blue and Gold season as part of a presentaion on the history of the program, or is this going to be a regular uniform for you, and if so how is that used to help the RT program?

It's not meant to be a curiosity. I just like wearing dresses and skirts sometimes. I know some other female leaders who feel the same way. By nature, I tend to be a more formal person, and while trousers are appropriate when I'm outdoors, when I'm inside, sometimes I like a dress. An official uniform is still an official uniform, regardless of its age. How would my wearing a dress be any different than the Scoutmasters who wear the old olive (pre De la Renta) uniform?

It will be a curiosity just because it is different. Just like if you showed up wearing a kimono.

However, it is a proper uniform and you can wear it. If nothing else, it may spark some interest in some of the other leaders. Being different is not a bad thing.

BeeDubya fusses too much about "the program" and likes to quote the book because the book is the program. Now he's fighting himself because he doesn't see how your actions will help the program but they are by the book and, hence, part of the program.

Logic is a pretty flower that smells baaad.

Wear it with pride.d As I said before, I'd go with period correct patches if you can find them.

"How would my wearing a dress be any different than the Scoutmasters who wear the old olive (pre De la Renta) uniform?"

I guess the difference is that they are Scoutmasters and you are the Roundtable Commissioner and their job is different from your job... isn't it?

BW,

The lady and others do have a point, once official uniform always official uniform.So if she has the official skirts, she can wear them. Please remember that until recently Supply did sell blue and green skirts, and culottes for the ladies that went with the yellow or tan blouse respectively. Most female leaders didn't wear them, trust me I hated inventorying them as they never sold at my store, but we kept them in stock per national.

At no time did I suggest that the uniform was not official. It is however not the current uniform, nor does it set a reasonable example for uniforming since it has very limited availability. The role of the Roundtable Commissioner is to give unit leaders the "will to do" and the "skill to do" a quality scouting program.

I merely asked how wearing an outdated uniform on a regular basis helps her in her role as a RT commission to meet those objectives. As a part of a Blue and Gold them where they are celebrating the history of Scouting it could be a fun element. But as a regular uniform I am asking how does it meet the purpose of Roundtable and the responsibilities and goals of a Roundtable Commissioner.