Red Jack-Shirts

I would bet that a lot of folks don't look at the BSA jac-shirt as anything more than an official uniform jacket. I know I never really thought of it as a conversation piece.

When you look at all the possible combinations of authorized patches that can go on the official uniform jac-shirt or windbreaker it seems clear that there are several different looks it can have and still be within the uniform allowances set by the BSA.

I am relieved rrclark1 that your intention was not to insult anyone. Because when you said that everyone in yourexperience fell into one of two camps, those who saw no need to follow the uniform regulations and could do whatever they pleased, or Nazis, one would think you meant 'Nazi' in a bad way.

Now that you have explained yourself I see that you meant Nazi in a very complimentary and supportive way. I do not think I have ever met anyone before who thought that calling others Nazis would be seen as anything other than an insult.

Perhaps we could relabel your two camps? Camp A could be those who have no difficulty following the BSA uniform regulations, and Camp B could be those who have difficulty following BSA uniform regulations.

The question that comes to mind would be, 'since you say you were a member of Camp A in Cub Scouts, why do you feel compelled to join Camp B in Boy Scouts'?

I had to take a look at my jacket to see what was on it.

The Scout emblem. The Philmont Bull, Philmont Training Center patch, and the BSA International jacket patch on the back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was "called out" by my DC the other day. I wear the same patches on my jac-shirt that i have on my field uniform. My jacket looks like my Scout shirt. I was always under the impression that you could wear any patch you wanted on you jac-shirt....reading this series of posts I guess I have been wrong. Was it ever allowed to wear any patch on yourjac-shirt? Being military i kind of looked at the jac-shirt in the same way i looked at my old field jacket. Looking at the uniform guide it basically said OA patchs, Philmont Bull, PTC patches, sea base, camping school etc...were just about the only ones authorised.

Apparently, until the early 70s you could wear anything you wanted on your red jacket, much like a brag vest. I've seen old Scouters with patches galore but I've never seen one with a position patch and CSP.

Now, all you're supposed to be wearing on your red jacket is your BSA patch on the pocket, Philmont bull with appropriately placed tail or the Loon, PTC patch and possibly one of the approved back patches.