Wearing the uniform

- Firing a weapon (albeit blanks, it still puts out 20'-30' of flame) in an area that is not designated as a firing range.

- Supervised by someone other than range master.

- Firing a weapon while someone else stands in front of them, and with someone also firing inches to the left and right of them.

- Aiming in the general direction of another person. (elevated aim 1-2' over the heads of the "enemy")

- Handling blackpowder directly. Along with carrying 2600 grains of blackpowder wrapped up in paper.

We have added many requirements on the Crew that do emphasize practices that are far more strict than those of the hobby, but do not interfere in the reenactment processes, i.e. each boy has to be able to demonstrate proficiency renewal every year regardless of experience, carry hunter safety certification, and will be ejected from an activity with the slightest of miss-step along the way.

BSA is aware of these issues, as are the parents of all the crew members, as well as the boys themselves.

These rules apply only to the safety of boys doing an infantry impression. Those dealing with cavalry have the added risk of carrying a 3' saber and handgun (blackpowder) as well, and artillery which handles 1/4#-1/2# of blackpowder with every discharge of the weapon.

These issues apply to Civil War era reenacting only.

Stosh

G2SS states:

"Units are not authorized, under any circumstances, to use a cannon or any other large-bore artillery device."

This of course doesn't mean individuals within a supporting organization can't use a cannon. The ironic part of this whole thing is the lack of understanding on the part of national to make a rule such as this. Any individual manning a large-bore artillery device in the CW hobby MUST be nationally certified by an accepted school of artillery in an appropriate artillery unit. Without full certification the whole battery is not allowed on the field at most events. Out of all the branches of reenacting it is by far the safest place in the hobby. Mounted scouts with a handgun and 3' sword need no certification of any kind to participate, nor does an infantryman with an 18" bayonet. Even without gunpowder the blades are a huge safety factor!

Having checked with my Council who in turn checked with National there is nothing forbidding a certified artillery Civil War unit from having crew members as participants in it's battery contingent. I can only speak from a CW hobby perpective. If this is the waiver you are referring to it is very easy to obtain if proper certification and training is provided. The only problem with crew members is that no one under 16 can obtain certification so these members have to take on other duties other than manning the gun until they are old enough to get nationally certified.

I have a crew that encompasses both infantry and artillery (cavalry is far to dangerous for me to consider!), and I know my artillery boys are the safest on the field, both in terms of being dangerous to others and being in a dangerous situation themselves.

Stosh