unifirm neatness

"The issue might be the the scouts are trying to do the sewing. Or it might be that the parent sewing does not know where the stuff goes. Try to help out and be a part of the solution. Uniform inspections and guidelines are something that can be passed on. "

I think the issue is more that the scout parents don't know where it goes. Tied to it, there seems to be a problem that many people 1) don't bother to find out where things go on the uniform 2) some don't educate themselves in where things go, and pass on bad information 3) those that know too often avoid point out errors for fear of being 'attacked'

Its not rocket science to get a copy of the inspection sheets (they're on-line. I was given a copy as a scout.). Getting a copy of the Insignia Guide is VERY easy. (I collect them. When I got my first copy as an older scout, I thought it was NEAT. It was like a catalog of all possible scout awards, many I never even knew about).

We had a thread in the past on bad uniforming. I've collected a list of what I see as the top bad uniforming gaffes, and heard a LOT of 'urban legends' of wrong info on where some things go.

GW, Do you think you scared them off? You seem proud of it. Did you want to help or WIN. I challenge you to go back and re-read your posts. Do they look (in tone of voice) like the way you'd like to be spoken to, or for your wife to be spoken to, or for that matter how you'd like your Scouts to respond. To me it read not of frustration but of calculated meanness. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but your posts and the most recent one make me think I'm not.

Not me alone, as I said, "we."

Not proud but amused. I officiated youth and adult sports for over two decades. I'm always amused by people who think that they know what the rules are but really don't have a clue. He falls into the same category as the twits who think that a high school b-baller can't rebound the ball after shooting.

For you it might be the idiots that watch a couple movies and then want to tell you about what the Marine Corps is like. You say, "no, we really don't have to eat puppies" and they want to argue because their sister's boyfriend's cousin knows a guy. . .

I'm strongly opinionated and I've been incorrect (never on a diamond or a hardwood court :-) ) but if someone can give me chapter and verse, I admit that I was maistaken. I won't say, "I don't want to tell you that you're wrong but you are."

Mean, nah. . . that wasn't mean. Saying Chesty Puller wore a bra is mean. :-) Now, I'd better run . . .

GW,

I am in no way saying you were't factually correct about the uniform. I don't own an insignia guide yet. But probably wouldn't be able to dispute your facts.

Did you take the challenge? Did you re-read those posts? In what way do they follow the Scout Oath or Law?

Someone comes to a forum for advice and you gloat about chasing them off!? And when called on it, divert the subject? And claim that "we" did it.

OKAY!

1)Anyone who will claim to have enjoyed chasing off the original poster. 2)And additionally admit they did it on purpose.

Admit it.

Even if you wind up with accomplices it was still completely unscoutlike to act that way.

If you are a Scouter I was under the impression that you/we were supposed to set the example.

That's a fine one there.

Where did I say that I enjoyed it? I said that I was amused, there is a difference.

Where did I "admit" that I chased him away on purpose?

Wife?

As the man once said, "I don't suffer fools gladly."

In any case, thank you for being the Deportment Police, we appreciate your valiant efforts.

BTW, there's no need to buy the insignia guide, it's now online.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

" but I'll be damned if I will stand back and let my boys uniforms become a mess and a disrespectful to the BSA."

I can't help thinking that this sounds like it was said by an adult!!

I suppose that making a fuss is one way of fixing what the Troop looks like.

Still maybe having a program and a Troop where every Scout is proud to wear the uniform, might take a lot longer, but would be far more rewarding for everyone.

Eamonn.

fastbow writes:I researched this for well over a month before placing my sons scribe patch on the right sleeveI'm curious what official, written, BSA sources you consulted in this month of research? As others have suggested, the Insignia Guide clearly states the Scribe patch goes on the left sleeve.

If your troop doesn't have a copy of the Insignia Guide, I suggest they invest in one and consult it whenever these questions arise.