Quality Unit 2007

In the parent thread, it was stated that the Quality Unit award is gone, replaced with the Centennial Award. This is my understanding as well.

So my question is, why are they still selling Quality Unit 2007 patches? On scoutstuff.org, you can buy either the Quality Unit 2007 patch or the Centennial Quality Unit 2007 emblem. I've told my troop that the 2006 patch is still current until we earn the Centennial Award, and that BSA has replaced the Quality Unit program with the new program. But the boys see some Scouts from other troops wearing the Quality Unit 2007 emblem, and they've asked me if those Scouts are therefore illegitimately wearing that emblem.

I think I said something like "My understanding is that there's no way to earn that patch, but perhaps they were told something different."

But it left me curious. If there is no way to earn the patch, why sell it?

In reality there are 2 sets for 2007.I met with my DE in 01/07 and did all the paperwork for Centennial Quality Unit patch. With the confusing directions I ordered patches that I thought were the CQU. I got black QU patrches with 2007 on them. When I asked about the RED color CQU,they sauid they would be available in Oct. For not wasting troop money,I returned them immediately and finally got the right ones last week

"In reality there are 2 sets for 2007"

Exactly my point. Why is this the case?

Maybe my question is just rhetorical. I can hypothesize one answer...that the supply division had already made up the Quality Unit 2007 patches before the program changed, and so they decided to go ahead and sell them rather than take a total loss on them.

My DE told me it had to do with timing of when you rechartered. If you rechartered for 2007 prior to the establishment of the Centennial Award, then you wear the QU 2007 patch for this year. They apparently produced significantly fewer number of these, since only a small percentage of units fell into that category.