District Commissioner

Can someone direct me to the proper official scouting literature that explains in plain english where to wear the new NYLT patch?

I see most boys who have taken the course wearing it above the right pocket where the National Jamboree patch is worn. I believe that the National Jamboree patch is the only patch that is worn in that location.

Get a copy of the Insignia Guide.

National and World Jamborees are worn above the right pocket, as is the Venture strip (for Venture Patrols), Varsity strip (for Varsity Scout Teams) and interpreter strips.

NYLT patches, like many patches, are worn ON the right pocket. Best rule of thumb is, if a position is not specified, it goes on the right pocket.

BTW, the insignia guide is now on-line: http://www.scouting.org/pubs/33066/

I am the uniform police......just kidding.

I have the 2006 printing of the Insignia Guide. The NYLT patch is mentioned on page 31 in name only. No mention of where it is worn.

The Jamboree patch is mentioned on pages 4, 18, 42 and 50. Nowhere does it say that this is the ONLY patch that can be worn in that location.

"It's a temporary patch, so right pocket, ideally for no more than six months but only the Uniform Police are going to actually keep track how long it stays there..."

That's an urban myth. There's no ideal time for how long one should wear a temporary patch. You can wear one forever and be in violation of no policy. You can dig out ones from 1967 when you were a cub scout and wear it.

Gold Winger, thanks for the reply but it doesn't answer my original question: Can someone point out to me some official BSA documentation that describes where to wear the NYLT patch or what you can do with it.

As I mentioned in my first posting, I am seeing nearly everyone that attends NYLT wearing the patch where the Jamboree patch goes. I don't think this is correct but I can't prove that it isn't. Someone at NYLT training must be telling them where to wear it.

Is there an answer to this question........

GLDCommish, welcome to the Forums.

My old copy of the Insignia Guide (2003 revision) refers to the patch as "JLT", but it clearly states the JLT patch goes ON (not above) the right pocket; i.e., its a temporary patch.

I know the online Insignia Guide is silent regarding placement of the NYLT patch, but if I had a newer edition of the hard copy, I think it would say on the left pocket.

Re: placing other patches above the right pocket. The Insignia Guide mentions only one patch that goes there, the Jambo patch -- it does not mention any other patch.

Nor does it prohibit patches from going there, but as someone else said in a different thread, the Insignia Guide does not state what cannot be done, it only says what CAN be done (after all, there are an infinite number of ways to wear patches and the uniform incorrectly).

If BSA ever started down the road of "thou shalt nots" then the first time someone came up with something that wasn't specifically prohibited, they'd do it.

Instead, the Insignia Guide takes the only rational approach, which is to the list the things you can do; i.e., how to wear the uniform correctly. By omitting something, I take that to mean you can't do it.

So I conclude you aren't supposed to wear the NYLT patch (or any other patch) where the Jambo patch goes. And if the Insignia Guide (or other literature like the inspection sheet or leader guide) is silent respecting where to place any particular patch, I treat that patch as a temporary and wear it on the right pocket.

By the way, there is no time limit on temporary patches -- after all, one can sew a "temporary" patch on the right pocket if you've mind to.

Yah, GLD, yer not goin' to find anything like that in any literature.

So da question is what to do with an official patch without a specified uniform location. Most folks would say what others here are sayin', and I'd agree - it goes in the Temporary Patch location (right pocket, back of MB sash, patch blanket, patch jacket, etc.).

As a commish, I read da Guide differently than Fred and those who want to be all military-rigorous with a kids' program. I think there's room for minor variation especially when it helps us achieve the Aims.

So if your local NYLT trainers are tellin' the lads it's OK to use the above-right-pocket spot, and they're really proud of that and it's gettin' 'em to think NYLT is special and encourages other youth to take it (and SM's to send kids)... well, then would a good commissioner really stand in the way of that in order to quibble about a patch? The Uniform Method only works when da youth buy into it and it's special for them.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Better to spend yer time with a unit that really needs support.

Beavah

I agree with Beavah, I don't sweat the small stuff. As a UC, however, I try the uniform completely and correctly -- but I don't go around berating others for not doing the same.

If asked, however, I will point them to the official source on proper uniform wear. I'm amazed at how many units don't have even an old copy of the Insignia Guide in their unit libraries.

Yeah, why quibble and sweat over a small detail? Surely no JLT/NYLT course director is going to get all bent out of shape when he learns it's a temp patch, not a Jamboree patch. And if a kid is all excited about wearing his new patch, surely he would be just as excited wearing it correctly. It really is such a small thing to let the recipients know the correct information about where to wear it, I can not imagine why anyone would insist on telling boys wrong.