what goes on my district shirt?

emb021,

I don't dispute what you say, though I can't find my insignia guide right now(@#$%^) I wonder why every boy and leader was issued two region patches which said "2005 National Scout Jamboree" and under that in gold it says "central region" These were worn on the left sleeve under the flag. Was the central region the only ones who did this?

LongHaul

I know that when I attended the 64 and 69 Jamborees we all recieved region slides and region 7 patches for our left sleeves.

Can you say 'souvenirs'?

Just because you are given a patch does not mean you need to put it on your uniform.

I collect Insignia Guides (am interesting in scouting history). Its interesting that for many years, Regional patches were always restricted to regional people. They have been making Jamboree regional patches for many jamborees. I got my first at the 1981 jamboree. However, its only been in the more recent Insignia Guides (last 4-5 years I believe), that who could wear Regional patches was extended to Jamboree staff doing regional work (but could only wear them during the jamboree).

By and large, youth do NOT wear Regional patchs. (there are a few exceptions). The left sleeve is where they need to be wearing their patrol medallion and quality unit patches. If they wear a regional patch, it makes it hard to wear those.

But as I said earlier, I really don't care if they do wear a regional patch. What I find more annoying is seeing scouts STILL wearing their jamboree unit numbers! The jamboree was over 2 years ago and I still see these kids wearing them. Take them off! Your jamboree patch (and Jamboree shoulder patch) tells us you went to the jamboree. We don't need your to wear the jamboree troop numbers as well. That unit stopped existing over 2 years ago. Put your proper unit numbers on.

Can you say required uniforming? I was required to have my region patches on my uniform as were the boys we sent to the 2005 National Jamboree. Again I don't dispute your information per the insignia guide I just wonder why everyone I personally know that attended these Jamborees was told to wear the region patch as part of their official uniform while traveling to and from or participating in the event. As I said my exsperience was back in the 60's seems someone would have caught the error by 2005. Just looked at the shirt a friend wore to the World Jamboree earlier this month and the patch she was issued also says Central Region in gold but these were worn in the position of the Council Patch.

LongHaul

"Can you say required uniforming? I was required to have my region patches on my uniform as were the boys we sent to the 2005 National Jamboree. Again I don't dispute your information per the insignia guide I just wonder why everyone I personally know that attended these Jamborees was told to wear the region patch as part of their official uniform while traveling to and from or participating in the event."

I would question who said this and what their basis for this. AFAIK, its not standard to present Regional patches to the contingents NOR require them to wear them. I suspect that someone in the CR made this decision, which is not keeping with National policy. Big surprise.

National standard is to present each participant with 2 patches and one neckerchief. Nothing is said about presenting them with Regional items. Participants do make alternations to their uniform for the duration of the Jamboree (and these alterations are allowed for 6 months before & after). Basically wearing a Jamboree Shoulder Emblem, Jamboree troop numbers, Jamboree troop office patch, jamboree troop patrol patch (as appropriate), and of course, the Jamboree emblem itself (which is now a permanent part of the uniform). You don't wear a quality unit patch (because you are part of a special troop contingent that didn't earn it), and AFAIK, are not to wear a patch on the right pocket (we didn't in 81).

I thought the materials put out for the jamboree made this clear, but I can't find this stated in any of the 2005 NSJ materials on hand.

This was the standard when I attended the 1981 Jamboree as a youth. AFAIK, except for the practice of creating one-piece, special jamboree unit numbers that started in 2001 and has continued into 2005, Jamboree uniforming policies have not changed (tho since the introduction of the special jamboree unit numbers, I see more and more youth not taking them off. I can tell you when I returned from the 81 jamboree, I immediately changed over my uniform. Especially as at the Jamboree I was just a patrol member, whereas in my troop I was an SPL.)

I think a region patch, those patches identifying region personnel, are different that those used to identify participants in an event from a particular region, like the Jamboree. Two separate patches IMO.

2005 Jamboree, Western Region I believe had a patch but it was not issued to every unit, or if it was it was not required to be worn. I was on staff and it was not offered to me, my son was with a contingent and it was not offered to him. That would be a temporary patch to be worn on the right breast pocket. The World Jambore CSP's or WSJSP's are identified with regions, as most councils would not be feilding a whole unit for the WSJ. The WSJ units were by definition regional units drawn from many councils and areas.

By the way Lisabob, I've been told that to get that nasty looking glue off of your uniform, take it to the dry cleaner and ask them to get it off. The chemicals they use remove it all, even the stuff holding on current patches. Be forwarned. I've got kids with the world crest scar on the chest and I beg them to get it taken care of. It drives me crazy...even more than I truely am...

"I think a region patch, those patches identifying region personnel, are different that those used to identify participants in an event from a particular region, like the Jamboree. Two separate patches IMO."

Well, they are not quite two separate patches.

For the most part, its rare for regions to put out patches to identify participants to an event from that region. I've only see those with the last few NOACs, and saw some from the WSJ. By and large, these patches go on the right pocket. Several will have button loops, to kind of 'make that clear'. (I've also always gone with the rule that if a patch is issued with a button loop, that it should not be sewn down. Use the loop and then swap out for another looped patch).

However, for the National Scout Jamboree, Regionals had for a very long time issued Regional NSJ patches, usually in a size/shape very similiar to the regular regional patches AND with the obvious intention that they be worn on the right sleeve. However, who could wear such patches really was restricted to regional personnel, as well as those adults serving in regional positions at the jamboree. Not for participants to be wearing (most were too big to go on the right pocket, so that location is precluded. There is a rule that patches worn there can not exceed the size of the pocket).

Now, for the most part these Regional items have been made available to anyone who wanted them. In fact, its been easier to get them then in past years. At the 1989 Jamboree I had to trek to every region and subcamp HQs to obtain the items they put out. (Western Region apparently refused to make theirs available to non-WR people). In subsequent Jamborees (I guess someone realized they could make money from them, along with the subcamp items), they made them available at a specific Trading Post, and at the last couple of Jamborees, one could order ALL the regional and subcamp patches you wanted in advance.

With the wider availablility of these items, you have more and more scouts thinking they can add these to their uniforms, along with their Jamboree CSPs, troop numbers, etc.

A common uniforming myth claims that JSPs must be removed from the uniform after the event. Remember that legitimately issued council shoulder patches do not expire, including those issued for participation in a jamboree contingent. So called "JSPs" are merely special activity CSPs - like Philmont CSPs - and may remain on the uniform for as long as the Scout or Scouter desires (unlike the jamboree troop numerals, which must be removed after the jamboree).