what goes on my district shirt?

OK I'm looking for a quick answer in prep for a meeting tonight and I know you guys will be able to help!

I am on our district membership committee and tonight I'm helping with cub round up training. Usually I just wear my troop uniform shirt but it had an unfortunate incident with the dryer recently and I haven't had time to deal with it (the backing on one of the patches melted and got all over the front of it - yuck!).

I have a back up shirt with no patches except the flag, CSP, and the world crest. If I put silver tabs on this, do I need anything else to make it "correct" for my district position?

As a corollary, what necker, if any, is appropriate to wear w/ the district shirt? I have a troop necker (and a slide I happen to like) and a WB necker (which I generally don't wear - but I do wear my beads with the troop necker most of the time). Do either of these fit the bill?

The meeting's tonight and my sewing time is limited so I'll appreciate your quick word of advice on this!

The district committee position patch goes in the same position as a troop position patch, directly under where the troop numbers would be on a troop shirt. A troop neckerchief would not go with a district shirt.

Yah, your district position patch.

When you're sewin', yeh might consider velcro. By far da easiest way to "swap patches," swap knots, etc. ;).

Neckers are always your discretion, but I agree with F and wouldn't wear a troop necker when servin' in a district role.

Lisa, since you're a BobWhite, you may wear your Gilwell Necker.

Of course, if it's as hot in MI as it is in MO, you're probably going to leave the Gilwell necker at home, and just wear the beads. ;)

I think 90F approaches an upper limit for choosing to wear the Gilwell...

As noted, adding your "District Committee" patch to this uniform (along with silver tabs) is enought to make it complete. Please be sure to wear this patch the appropriate space below your CSP. NEVER wear unit numbers.

As to necker, as you are part of the district, wearing a unit necker wouldn't be a good idea. WB necker is fine.

Going forward, you may add the "trained" strip should you complete district training (yes, it does exist), any knots you have earned, OA flap (if in the OA), Jamboree patch (above the right pocket), any activity patch on the right pocket, district quality award on the right sleeve.

"At what point would you also add a region patch to the right sleeve?"

District and/or council-level scouters do not wear Region patches. Only those involved with the Region (including Area) may do so. This is clearly stated in the Insignia Guide.

Looks like the Uniform Police haven't caught up with our Council Professional staff yet...they are wearing Southern Region patches on the right sleeve.

On Lisa's original question, please refer to the Insignia Guide. Some of the responses above are not quite correct (i.e., wrong!)

Position 1 is the CSP (touching the shoulder seam).

Position 2 is EITHER unit numerals OR district/council position patch, not both (touches the bottom of the CSP)

Position 3 is the unit position patch (touches the bottom of the unit numerals).

The TRAINED strip touches the bottom of the position patch regardless of whether it's in Position 2 or 3.

On the right sleeve for adults, only the Flag and the Quality Unit/District/Council patches (current year only)(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

scoutldr,

Actually, Council professionals are authorized to wear the Regional Insignia.

IG, page 54

"Regional Insignia

This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee members, local council professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility and is worn on the right sleeve in position 2...."

"Position 2 is EITHER unit numerals OR district/council position patch, not both (touches the bottom of the CSP)"

Where are those instructions listed? My IG says District Badges of Office go in position 3 only, 4" below the shoulder seam. (pages 42 - 44).

scoutldr,

I don't have a link to the uniform guide, but here is one to a uniform inspection sheet: http://www.scouting.org/forms/34281.pdf

"Badge of office is centered 4 inches below shoulder seam, but if numeral is worn, it is centered below numeral and touching it". So unless you CSP is 4 inches tall, the badge of office does not touch the CSP.

Not trying to be a uniform cop, you might be in an area that this practice started long ago and now is accepted to be correct.

Jamboree participants can wear the region patch for a certain period of time after the jamboree.

Robert

Several comments.

Yes, council professionals can wear regional patches. This is noted in the Insignia Guide. I just didn't bother mentioning it in my previous post.

"Jamboree participants can wear the region patch for a certain period of time after the jamboree."

No. Jamboree staff with regional positions at Jamboree may wear the regional patch, but only during the Jamboree experience. Jamboree participants (which usually means the youth and the troop leaders) have no business doing this. Again, this is noted in the Insignia Guide.

That said, I really don't care who wears Regional patches... I get more annoyed with the kids who are still wearing Jamboree troop numbers years after the jamboree was over.

As noted, ALL badges of office go in Position 3. If one is a unit-level person, you wear CSP, unit number(s) and office patch ALL touching. If you are NOT a unit-level person, you leave the space open were a unit number would go. Office patches do not and should not touch the CSP. It's one thing if you are someone who doesn't have enough space on your left sleeve for the CSP, office patch, trained patch and arrowhead such that you need to push the office patch up closer to (or touching) the CSP. But too many do this who have the room to wear these in the right place (or either shouldn't be wearing the arrowhead patch).