Why is the blue blazer so discouraged for Committee members?

I am a committee chair. I need a uniform, but why can't I, who deals almost exclusively with parents, wear a blue blazer, grey skirt, floppy neck tie, and blue pumps? Why is this a "formal" uniform limited to "professional occassions?" As a very formal and professional person, I am extremely uncomfortable wearing a khaki shirt covered in multi colored patches and olive A-line skirt. I am just as able to do my job in one uniform as the other. However, just putting on that khaki and olive makes me itch. (It's the weave, I think.)

Nike

We are a 100% uniform troop for the boys, scoutmasters, and Committee members who are needed at every meeting. It's in the bylaws. (No comments about Bylaw craziness, please.) And, it is just local practice.

If your unit requires every person that attends every meeting to be 100% outfitted in the full field uniform, then I think you need to bring your concerns to them. Are exceptions ever made? If no, then I would suggest brown pumps rather than blue - it goes much better with olive.

Not to go off track, but why are committee members needed at every meeting?

I see nothing wrong with wearing the blue blazer/grey skirt/trousers uniform, if that's what you're most comfortable with. It is an official uniform, as listed in the supply catalog, when worn with the bullion (gold metallic thread) embroidered BSA symbol on the blazer pocket, and the red/blue/grey official scarf.

"I am a committee chair. I need a uniform, but why can't I, who deals almost exclusively with parents, wear a blue blazer, grey skirt, floppy neck tie, and blue pumps? Why is this a "formal" uniform limited to "professional occasions?"

Wearing what you like is very much up to you!

However I don't think too many people outside of other people in Scouting would know that it was a uniform.

If the Committee is going to be uniformed a uniformed uniform would seem to me the best way to go.

Our last DE,is a female, she didn't start working for the BSA till her late 40's.

I think the world of her and she remains one of my best friends.

She hated the field uniform with a passion. This is a Lady who will spend over $800.00 on a purse, drives a really nice Mercedes and before she came to work for us was happier playing bridge at the Country club (Shes a good golfer too.) But when it came to R/T or mixing with the Scouters she wore the field uniform.

By wearing it she was in many ways telling everyone that we are in the same boat, working toward the same goal.

There are better quality uniforms available at a higher cost, OJ my son tells me that everybody that's anybody in the OA wears the better quality. I agreed but informed him that as long as I was paying half, I'd pay for half of the cheaper uniforms.

Eamonn.

I happen to think that females in the pro uniform look like Air hostesses from a bygone age. But that's just me!(This message has been edited by Eamonn)