New BSA Recruiter badge

Why in the world did National come up with this new-fangled round temporary patch for recruiting?

It's only temporary.

The existing rectangular patch is "permanent" and is more recognizable than the new one.

If the old one wasn't colorful enough, they could have changed the colors and design while keeping the shape, size, and placement the same.

I think this was a stupid move that will only serve to dilute the recognition of recruitment efforts. It's confusing and redundant. It ranks right there with the new 1st Class requirement to "talk" to someone about joining.

Maybe I should change my name to oldcodger...

Grumpy today. Sorry.

Apology accepted. ;)

As I have said in another thread, I think the new 1st Class requirement to talk about Scouting with a friend is a fine idea. Can't hurt, and if done consistently by all those 2nd class fellows, it might help. Same with the new recruiter patch. Some fellows will do anything for a colorful patch (heh, heh ... I should talk!) and rewarding their effort with a cool recruiting patch is positive feedback.

What I found interesting on the BSA website is they say that you get the patch for inviting a boy to join BSA. Then it says ask for the patch when you hand in the new application. I wonder if there is an official application form. Not every boy who is asked to join, joins.

I wonder if this maybe tied into, the new first class requirement?

It's an interesting colorful patch, but I think the traditional one means a lot more.

I believe there was a similiar patch in the 1990's for a short time.

• 2 weeks later...