Uniform Question?

Where do I put the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity award. Information I have says on the right pocket flap of the uniform shirt. If I sew it on there what do I do with his Summertime Activity pin. It was on the pocket flap. Also how does he button his shirt pocket with the patch over the buttonhole?

Also this will make it impossible to hang the progress toward rank thing from that same button. I don't think my son will mind this since he has already made Bear but some boys might.

Thanks,

Mom with a Needle but no clue

Hey Belinda,

Just tack the patch across the top to the seam of the pocket flap. No need to sew all the way around. That way, your son can still unbutton the pocket and hang his progress toward rank. That's what I do with my son's OA pocket flaps (Boy Scouts) and it works out great.

As for the summertime pack award, it is supposed to be pinned on the pocket flap centered over the button. So, I guess he'll have to forgo wearing it.

However, without trying to set off the uniform police, Cubscouts want to wear all their awards and I personally don't see a thing wrong with it. They are little guys and do not understand nor care about the rules of proper uniforming. So, why not pin his summertime pack award just above the right pocket flap.

If you do, hope you don't get too much "flap" about it.

BelindaB,

I would sew the patch across the top and the two sides. That's what I do with my OA flap patches. I think that that works a bit better than just across the top like gwd-scouter suggests. So now, consider yourself a Mom with a needle and a clue :)

SWScouter

One of my personal irks about my own uniform is when I feel a patch isn't completely sewn on, so I sewed my OA flap all the way around and never had any problems getting into the pocket when needed, even with the arrow charm hanging from the pocket. Just took a bit of extra playing around is all, really. If the boy doesn't mind just a quick run across the top of the patch and it's done well, that works too, though. I've also seen some people stitch 3 sides of it so that just the bottom edge where the button is is left open, which is probably the best of all worlds when you think about it.

Mom,

I suggest you sew it on the three sides as the others suggested. If you sew it across just the top they have a tendency to get ripped off.

As far as the pins, I have my boys (twins) put them over the "Boy Scouts of America"

You may also consider a patch vest. As your boy earns more stuff there is not room on the uniform, so you can put it on the vest. The nice part of this is you don't have to keep taking all of the pins and medals on and off to wash the shirt!