used uniforms

One of the boys in our Troop is in desperate need of a larger Boy Scout uniform shirt (adult medium so he has room to grow). He wants to wear his uniform, but it is so tight and short on him that it barely goes past his belt. He is 13 years old and parents haven't the money available to buy a shirt at this time. I have had luck in the past in one of our local thrift stores finding used uniform shirts/pants but haven't been able to find any in the last year or so. My stock is dwindling (only a youth medium shirt and size 36 pants) and I'd like to help this lad out.

Are there places (like on the internet) that resell BSA uniform shirts & pants?

Does anyone have a shirt for trade/purchase (I'll pay shipping)?

Thanks,

ASM59

Four recommendations:

First, contact your Unit Commissioner. He or she can carry this request to other local troops. Most units have "experienced" uniform stocks.

Second, if that's a dry hole, ask, through your UC, that your DC contact other neighboring districts in your Council.

Third, try eBay.

Fourth, see if you can help this young man find snow shoveling, firewood toting, grass mowing (in season), table waiting at VFW/American Legion breakfasts where he can earn a new shirt.

(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Another way of obtaining used Scout uniforms is to offer a "finder's fee" for anyone who brings one in. The going rate in our Troop is $10 for a Scout shirt in good condition, or $5 for one that is "wearable." Plus bonus Reese's Cups, the true coin of the realm.

The idea is to encourage Scouts and their parents to pick them up when they see them at at thrift stores (usually for a $5 profit) and to ask their friends and relatives who have left Scouting if they still want their old uniforms. This has had the unanticipated consequence of some boys returning to Scouts after having quit (in which case the "recruiter" and his whole Patrol get a Reese's Cup bounty).

I then charge a deposit for shirts and pants, which helps the recycling effort. For some reason, after I started charging for official Scout pants, the boys started buying them. Before that nobody would wear them, and they sat on the shelves for years even though they were free.

Kudu

Another way of obtaining used Scout uniforms is to offer a "finder's fee" for anyone who brings one in. The going rate in our Troop is $10 for a Scout shirt in good condition, or $5 for one that is "wearable." Plus bonus Reese's Cups, the true coin of the realm.

The idea is to encourage Scouts and their parents to pick them up when they see them at at thrift stores (usually for a $5 profit) and to ask their friends and relatives who have left Scouting if they still want their old uniforms. This has had the unanticipated consequence of some boys returning to Scouts after having quit (in which case the "recruiter" and his whole Patrol get a Reese's Cup bounty).

I then charge a deposit for shirts and pants, which helps the recycling effort. For some reason, after I started charging for official Scout pants, the boys started buying them. Before that nobody would wear them, and they sat on the shelves for years even though they were free.

Kudu