Merit badge bug bit...but the sash caused a groan.

My older son is not new to Scouting, but he is new to merit badges, and to make a long story short, he was unable to fully participate in his most recent camping trip (the activities, that is--he went on the trip). He asked an asst SM if he would work with him on the camping MB, something he though he would be able to fairly easily as he loves to camp and rarely misses a trip. He also asked if he could help out any Webelos visiting. He came home so excited and searched out the merit badge book, choosing more to work on. Why? He was so incredibly encouraged to have items signed off on, and I know the MB counselor, and there is no way anything was signed off on lightly. Also, a Webelos preparing to bridge asked for help building a fire; my son was happy to help. He said the Webelos' mom came by to pick him up and was apparently full of praise for her sons' new-found skill, and that in turn had my son feeling pretty good about things. This is all good stuff, and I'm very happy for my son now wanting to do this, and all it took was an adult leader who was willing to make some time and give some opportunities to a boy who wasn't too sure of this whole "merit badge thing".

Now, why groan? He asked me if I'd buy him a MB sash. I laughed and reminded him that he has one already and it's in a drawer because he won't wear it. He said, "but not that one, the one that goes on the belt". I told him there was no such thing, that while he had his Scout Handbook handy (something he actually found useful this past weekend--lol!), he should look up proper uniforming. The thing is, the sashes tend to only be worn during Eagle COHs, and they are usually worn on the belt. Yes, I know, that's wrong--but I'm leaving this one up to my son and the troop. I gave him info, pointed him to the resources, and that's all there is for me to do.

Yeah, I groaned over that sash issue, but I'm still chuckling over a Scout who is now looking for some MBs so he can fill up his sash. Now this, sash aside, is what makes Scouting great. I know that my son's confidence is growing, that the leader who worked with him cares about him and my sons knows it, that the young boy who learned from my son though this was cool stuff and my son learned he has something to give as well as to learn ... gotta love it.

I am a Eagle Scout from the 70's. Back in my day you could wear up to 6 merit badges on the sleave of the long sleave shirt. I do not know if that is still so. I am a Cub Scout Den Leader now. This was made possable so that boys could display there merit badges, till they had earned enough to justify the use of the sash.

I do not understand wearing the sash on the belt. I've never heard of this. Any way, if the long sleave shirt idea is still correct, that may give you a option.

Merit badge sashes, like medals, are only worn at formal events. This includes not just ECOH, but Troop Court of Honors (your troop DOES have them, right? They should have 2-4 a year), scout sunday, and other formal events.

As noted, NO sash in the BSA is worn on the belt, either the merit badge sash or the OA sash. I've usually seen them worn on the belt when the scout wants to wear both, but obviously can't, so wears the other on the belt. See the Insignia Guide for proper wear.

Some other points with merit badge sashes. Some kids complain that the sash 'slides off their shoulder'. It is NOT to be worn under the epaulet, however, some inventive moms have sewn a loop underneath the sash to attach to the epaulet button to prevent this.

Another issue is how to wear the merit badges on the sash. Most people wear them in straight rows perpendicular with the edge, 3 across, in the order they earned them. This is the easiest thing to do. Other methods are usually annoying, such as trying to angle them, or putting eagle-required ones first, etc.

Yes, 6 MBs may still be worn on the long-sleeved shirt. Most Scouts around here only have short-sleeved shirts though, so I've not seen this done.

Thanks Semper. It was a good weekend for my son on so many levels.

Yes, the troop has COHs 4 times per year in addition to monthly BORs. The only thing in this troop that I've not agreed with is this one area: wearing the sash incorrectly.

The merit badge sash is usually worn for formal occasions, but it is not restricted to those occasions. A boy may wear his sash with the uniform any time he wants to do so.

The MB sash is worn over the shoulder epaulet. The OA sash is narrower and is worn under the epaulet. See the OA section of the Insignia Guide. Neither sash is ever worn on the belt. See the excess insignia section.

FYI..And I'm not making a point here, my entry here is just for fun.....

There are a few photographs in some of our popular literature showing uniforming errors. Each year, I read this Scouter.com and other Scouting blogs about errors in the annual Scout catalog (or Scout Stuff website). They are pretty humorous sometimes. Even if you look at Cub Scouts in the leaders' Scouting Magazine, the patches are sometime stapled to the uniform or sewed in the wrong location. (Okay, their parents may not know where to sew the ranks and recognitions.)

When you have the opportunity... Look at the most recent copy of Scouting Magazine or the online version. The American Legion Eagle Scout of the Year for 2005. He looks like a nice young man and he has alot of accomplishments, Even a Hornaday Award on his chest. And look at all those merit badges! I give this young man alot of credit.

But then I saw his red, white and blue epulates. Maybe he should have saved those for his Troop events and put on the red epulates for the Scouting Magazine photo. lol

Also, if you ever look at the Varsity Scout Handbook. There are a few photos of Scouts wearing their OA Sashes on the belt. (Without the Varsity Handbook infront of me, I believe there are some photos with OA Sashes over activity T-shirts and Merit Badge Sashes draped over the belt). You would kinda think for action photographs in the handbook, they would abide to uniforming decorum.

Venture On!

Crew21_Adv