Anyone using Badge Magic?

I bought some today from the local council shop for $7.95 which was steep to me but was worth it as far as putting $$ on my time having to sew patches on a new uniform. It says that the patches remove by drycleaning. What if I only want to remove one? Another leader said there is a similar product sold in sheets at Wal-Mart that is about 2 bucks that works the same. Anyone use either of these?

Thanks!!

Jason

I've used Badge Magic on both my uniform and my son's uniform. It works ... OK.

Some tips:

1) Don't even THINK about using a dryer to set the adhesive. Use a iron - the hotter, the better.

2) It's not completely permanent - if you wash your uniform often enough, (like 50 times or more), the edges of the badges will start to pull away from the uniform. Now, for most kids, they will outgrow their uniforms before this starts to happen. For adults, it's something to deal with.

3) Here's what I ended up doing with Badge Magic. The problem with patches is that it takes months for you to get around to sewing them on. And if you sew like me, the badges end up off-center, in the wrong place, etc. With Badge Magic, you can easily get them on your uniform in the exact right place and in a timely manner. Once on, you can go back and reinforce the adhesive by stitching them on at your leisure.

4) Avoid imitations. They don't work.

The people at Badge Magic were kind enough to send me a case of the stuff.

I really don't like it.

OK, so I used the dryer!! Some of the patches were unusual shapes (Wagion Jamboree patch). But they never seemed to stick right from the get go.

Worse is when they come off the glue leaves a nasty stain.

I'll go back to sweet talking Her Who Must Be Obeyed.

They also sent a roll of tape which is for hemming -that might work.

Eamonn.

I won't use it. Not because I have seen what it does to shirts, but because I have seen what similiar products do to shirts.

I am glad that you brought up the subject. There is a boy that I loaned out one of my son's shirts to. I am going to have to remind his mom that I don't want her to use this on his shirts. I will even volunteer to sew his patches on.

Tried the gel - hated it.

Tried the cutout paper, and like it pretty well. I've used it to put on most of my patches. The edges will peel. For me, the council strip and troop numerals are the main culprits. I think it's because the sleeve gets bent on the hanger. I've found a little needle & thread on the ends solves that problem quite nicely.

Thanks for the replis so far. Some of the "permanent" badeges like the troop numbers and council strip I will sew but I was wanting to use it on my square knot awards so I didn't have to rip stitches and resew them everytime I earn a new one. I have two now and I'm expecting another one in a few months and I hate sewing. I'll do it but I don't like it.

I'm wondering, how do you get the patches off? The outside of the package says you can just dryclean to remove the patches but you can't dry clean just one spot! I don't want all of the patches to come off!

Jason

Troop 77

Foley, AL

I have two knots right now and I thought they had to be centered with the pocket flap. I just read after my post, they can be right justified with the corner of the pocket flap instead of centered. Is this correct?

Jason

Left, Right, Centered...

You can wear them any way you wish. Just no more than 3 in a row.

I have 2, they are centered, & held on with Badge Magic. I think they just looked better centered. When I get the 3rd one early next year, I will move them into a row of 3, and sew them in place.

Kurt

I just bought some at the Girl Scout shop for my daughter's vest. We've only put 3 patches on, but so far, I love it. I only paid $3 for mine. I got one sheet, about 8x11. It was double-sided sticker paper, and we ironed it down once we placed the patches. I figure if things start to peel away, I'll stitch them down, but at least now they are on.

If you already have 2 embroidered knots centered in 1 row, then they would need to be moved to make room for a 3rd. Centering is not required, though it may look more symmetrical. I sew my patches permanently and would put the first knot in a row in the center, the 2nd either left or right, then the 3rd in the remaining spot.