Webelos uniform for the boy, pants and belt for me Guess the $$$$$

How much scouting costs depends entirely on the individual unit's budget, their program choices, and their ability to meet those program choice and budget needs through fundraising.

As a Cub Master the Pack I served had families responsible for the uniform, oftem bought through our exchange for a pittance, but the pack supplied all patches, neckerchiefs, and handbooks.

Cubs paid $1 a week den dues, everything else we did was paid for by the pack, except for day camp and families paid a portion with the CO paying the balance.

In the troop the scouts were responsible for their uniform, personal gear accept for patches and neckerchiefs that were supplied by the troop), and for their food on campouts. The troop paid for all camping fees and awards. Families paid for summer camp.

Costs of uniforms and equipment could be offset through popcorn sales.

I know some packs where scouting costs as much as Ed's troop pays.

Like just about anything else in life, Scouting is expensive if you choose to make it expensive.

(Cub uniform worn once a week X 52 weeks in a year, X 2 years = 104) and thats conservatively from my experience.

As far as how many uniforms do I have.

USUALLY

2 Short Sleeve shirts (1 set up for troop bought in 1981, 1 for District/Council bought in 2000)

1 Long Sleeve shirt for ceremonies (bought in 1996)

1 pair of slacks (bought in 2002)

1 pair of shorts (bought in 1998 or so)

6 pairs of socks (bought around 2000)

2 belts (1 leather (2001), 1 web green (1977))

HOWEVER, due to Jamboree and now Sea Scouts

2 Short Sleeve

1 Long Sleeve

2 Slacks (1 new)

2 Shorts (1 new)

12 pairs of socks (6 new)

4 belts (1 leather, 3 web (green, khaki (2005), white (2005))

1 Dress White Sea Scout Uniform (2005)

1 Work Tan Sea Scout uniform (2005)

1 Multipurpose cap (2covers white and tan) (2005)

I would say that since the uniform change in 1981 that I have spent maybe $500 on uniform pieces over 24 years. So since I am in uniform at least once a week and for several years 2 or 3 times

(500/24)/60= less than .35 every time I put on a BSA uniform.

I think it's worth a lot more than that. But it doesn't matter because I chose to do this, no one made me. if I ever thought it was costing more than it was worth I would simply make a different choice. I cannot understand the choice to volunteer and then complain, no one is blocking the exit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic