Scout Shirt at National Jamboree

My son is attending the national jamboree.

I understand that many of the patches he wears locally (council strip, troop numerals, patrol, office) will be replaced by patches unique to his council troop.

I assume he can wear advancement items such as rank, religious emblem knot, arrow of light.

What's recommended in terms of quality unit? Can he wear the regular flap of his local OA lodge? Assuming (again) that the round jamboree participant patch goes in the position above, do most scouts wear anything on the temporary insignia pocket?

Thanks in advance ...

Our guys will be wearing the Jamboree National Emergency Preparedness award.

I'm a little unsure how as the Lodge made a special full pocket OA flap.

While I suppose if this pocket is free a Scout could opt to wear his favorite temporary patch. I however would check with the Jamboree Scoutmaster.

The troop is not a quality unit. It is a provisional Council Troop.

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

No offense, but as close as Jamboree is getting, you should have known this kind of information long ago. I'm attending Jambo as one of the contingent leaders from our council. Your council should have held a mandatory parents meeting months ago to give you all sorts of information and to answer questions. Your son should be attending Jambo troop meetings on a "regular" basis. Our troop meets once a month. You should also be having a mandatory shakedown(s) campout soon.

To answer your questions. Our council recommends a minimum of three complete scout uniforms. That means the shirt, web belt, shorts and socks. A jamboree hat and neckerchief will be provided. That is all they will wear at Jambo or while touring. You'll probably have a couple of troop t-shirts issued that will be used as "class B" wear with the shorts, belt and socks. We have told our scouts to not bother with taking any "civilian" clothing other than rain gear, swimsuit, sleeping clothes and underwear. They will not have an opportunity to ever wear it. They will have a Jambo OA flap, a Jambo council strip, their Jambo troop unit numerals and the Jambo patch. The will need the patrol patch for their Jambo patrol. They will only wear a position patch if they have a leadership position in the Jambo troop. They will wear their current rank patch and can wear their religious knot and AOL patch. Hope that helps.

I second what the "Beave" stated. Just remember, your son is going as a member of a troop - his contingent troop. Contingent troops DO NOT earn quality unit so that patch should be absent.

Just to stir the pot - the Jamboree web site (www.jamboreestuff.org) uses the outlawed "Class A" term to describe uniforms. Tsk, tsk. What would Mr. White say?

I would say that the people who write catalog descriptions are not trained program leaders, whom I would hope would know the program better than a store clerk does.

If a person uses a clothing catalog as a program guide then they have more problems than the BSA program can help with.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I went to the Jamboree in 1977. I recall bringing two shirts that had the sleeves altered to reflect the Jamboree troop (that is, I changed everything on the sleeves and left the pockets alone, although I sewed the jamboree patch above the right pocket).

I think that would be a pretty good rule. Frankly, I would think the jamboree OA flap is optional.

But I also brought one uniform from my "real" troop. No one kicked me out of the jamboree or sent me home early. No arrests from the uniform police.

However, he MUST hold on to the jamboree ID card and carry it with him wherever he goes. It is the only way to prove he is a "paying" member of the Jamboree, and entitled to participate in all activities.

jam