Guaranteed for the life of the owner?

I recently read, that BSA guarantees their uniforms for the life of the owner. That you can return a uniform to the National Supply in exchange for a new one.

Acutally here's what it said "The Boy Scouts of America's Supply Division, since its inception, operated under a policy whereby they "guaranteed their uniforms for the life of the owner." This policy later expanded to anything they sold or has the BSA's official seal attached to it. Basically, they allow you to exchange worn uniform parts (shirts, pants, belts only) for newer versions with them. In order for you to do this, you must wash and clean the uniform item, and send it to the BSA's Supply Division at the National Office explaining what is wrong with the item. If your item is old and the Supply Division no longer carries that item, they will inform you and bill you or you can provide them credit card information in which they can receive payment. But in most cases, they are happy to provide you with a larger, wider, or smaller (!) uniform item, charging you only for the cost of postage and shipping the item.

There IS a limit as to how many times you can do this; the Supply Division is NOT in the business of losing money but they will support you and other Scouters and Scouts. You MUST include a letter with the item providing your full name, mailing address, unit number and city/state, and Council name or number. Without that information, they will NOT exchange your items.

This came from Mike Walton's Leaders Online Page http://users.aol.com/coffeeweb/LO/faq.htm

So, I simply want to know if anyone here has ever returned a uniform piece to National and had it replaced?

Yep. I had a pair of Scout shorts with a busted zipper. Rather than throwing them out, I took Mike's advice and sent them to supply division with a note. A few weeks later, I recieved a new pair in the mail from National. Smooth!

When did someone last do this? Has anyone recently (last 12 months) exchanged something that was used up through fair wear and tear?

Has anyone attempted to exchange an item they outgrew (youth length, adults girth)?

Our Scout Shop is a BSA Supply Division store: The manager, who is a National employee, told me "fair wear and tear" isn't covered.

Trying to reconcile this thread with what the man said.

I just tried the hornses' mouth. Called the Supply Division 800 number, and pushed two for the retail catalog team: After 7 rings,...

"Your call has been answered by Audix. The 'Retail Catalog" mailbox is full. Goodbye."

So, I ask again: Who has actually sent off an item that wore out to fair wear and tear, and received "in-kind" replacement from Supply Division in the past 12 months?

YIS