What Not to Wear--Self-Criticism

I have been reading with interest a couple of threads on how much Scouters should or should not adorn their uniforms with beads, knots, patches, and various other gewgaws. I recently attended my first Roundtable, and I did notice that quite a few Scouters had a lot of stuff on their shirts. But I have to say, that what I REALLY noticed, and that I myself am sporting, was a large, unsightly bulge in the midsection of the uniform shirt. Yes, a big gut. When I saw so many guys all in one place with that same out-of-shape form, I felt convicted--this is a much worse example to the boys than any amount of uniform paraphenalia. I am determined to do better, and trying to shed the spare tire will be one of my New Years' resolutions. While a person may have a patch that indicated he scaled the Tooth of Time in 1975, if he looks now like he couldn't scale a flight of stairs, what is the impression that gets through?

I thought that the bulge in the middle WAS a sign of an experienced Scouter! Almost as good as the "beads". While I too have a bit of bulge, I like to call it a mini-spare, I try hard to keep fit. The kids know who is and is not fit. We should all try to set a better example.

Although I have no gut myself, let's all sing the Scoutmaster Version of "Head, shoulders, knees and toes," in co-miseration.

It goes like this:

"Head,

Shoulders,

belly,

belt.

Head,

shoulders,

belly,

belt . . . etc.

Unc.

One less piece of pie to eat

One less pudding, dessert and treat

One less mile or work out after

One less shirt the buttons won't meet

My belly button sticks out through it

My pants won't fasten, my belt won't either

I have to wear knee pants in Winter

I guess I'll diet in the Spring

kind of to the tune about, One less man to look out after.

FB