Uniforms for those who can not afford them

Regarding Uniforms for those who can't afford them:

I do believe that most Scouts (and even Scouters) could find ways to earn the money to purchase a uniform.

Scout units could establish uniform banks to provide uniforms for those Scouts or any Scout for that matter. Unifoms are expensive. However, Scouts receiving uniforms in this manner, should be encouraged to give back to the uniform bank when possible.

Youth of Scout ages grow constantly, and given the cost of uniforms, there can be a hardship. Buying a size larger helps but is not always the answer.

I also believe that the high cost of uniforms contributes to the inability or reluctance of Scouts to get uniforms.

And again, I think it is wrong to compare buying a uniform to the cost of CDs, cigarettes, fast food, etc. and that by giving up those things even temporarily can result in having money to buy a uniform. I just think this approach is not the best.

A Scout's or Scouter's uniform his his or her uniform, and part of the pride in that uniform should be earning the money to buy it.

Regarding the cost of uniforms:

I think that it is just plain common sense, when comparing Scout uniforms to other similar clothing, that the uniforms are priced above similar clothing. I for one would like to know why, but I think I know.

If uniforms were priced similarly to similar clothing, cost would not be such an issue.

The cost of Venturing uniform pants, shorts, socks and other components are MUCH higher than those for other Scouting programs. Why? A pair of Venturing socks is $16.30!

I think that somebody or some company is making a lot of money off Scouting uniforms.

In my opinion, the cost of Scout uniforms does affect recruiting and retention in Scouting.

And I thinl that those involved in Scouting need to make these things known.

Regarding the quality of Scout uniforms:

Again, I think it is very apparent, when compared to similar clothing, that at least sometimes, Scout uniform parts are not of the best quality. It is true that one can buy similar items, for much lower prices, that are of greater quality.

The uniforms of today, are in my opinion, of much better quaility than the all olive colored uniforms of the early 70s.

The current uniform shirts, are in my opinion, of better quality than the trousers and shorts. However, I recently went to the Scout Shop to buy a new shirt. They had 4 of my size. Of those 4, three of them had the left shirt pocket sewn on at least 1/2" higher than the right. How could this have passed inspection? Was there an inspection at the manufacturing facility? I mentioned this to the clerk in the shop who just shrugged and put the shirts back on the rack. To me they should have been sent back to the manufacturer with a written complaint and a demand for replacement with new shirts. I have no doubt that some Scout or Scouter will buy those shirts.

Scout trousers do not hold up well at all. The stitching comes loose in a very short time. The back pockets and seat area wear through very quickly. If it were not for the elastic in parts of the waist band (which I think make the pants and shorts fit and feel better) the pants would not fit well at all. The pockets, both side slit pockets and especially the little patch pockets are far too small. those little patch pockets are viturally useless. I for one would like to see the cargo pockets on the sides of the legs come back.

I would also like to see combination pants and shorts - with zippers on the legs so that one garment could serve both purposes. I would rather pay a bit more for combination pants/shorts, than to have to buy two garments.

Regarding a complete and proper uniform:

I agree. However, since uniforming is a method of Scouting, and not the entire program, I think that uniforming should be tempered and that common sense should apply.

I am dismayed by those who run up to others in incomplete or improper uniforms and tell them about it, often loudly and tactlessly. Is it not better to quietly approach someone and advise them?

While the Insignia Guide is fairly good at setting standards, there are lots of things left unanswered. Some topics simply are not addressed.

Scouters and older Scouts should strive to set the example by wearing as complete and proper of a uniform as possible. One of the benefits of Scouting is that members can often wear insignia of their associate and achievements. Lots of people both young and old like this and appreciate it. Our unit has a lot of new Scouts and they like all the insignia. They are almost always in complete uniform.

Again, a Scout's or Scouter's uniform is theirs and they should be encouraged to earn the money to buy it (A Scout pays his own way), and then have the pride, self respect and respect for the organization, to wear it as much as possible, properly and completely.

Justmy opinion.

One thing I admit about myself, I hate to shop. Scouting gives me only a few choices, long sleeve or short sleeve shirt, shorts or pants. The rest is easy! I like the fact that when I attend a Scouting function I know exactly what I'm going to wear!

The only times that I don't wear my uniform at Scouting functions are 1) swimming, 2) bathing, 3) sleeping and 4) most winter activities. The first three have obvious reasons. The latter is because when the temperature drops below freezing I go toward survival. At our last Winter Camp-o-ree, the temps were below 10 all day and below freezing at night. Polyester pants don't cut the mustard in that environment.