Purchasing of Rank Patches

The Hoosier Trails Council (My council) does have a strict policy of obtaining Rank insignia. I had actually bought a couple of Eagle Scout patches and a Gold Palm (as a device for my knot for my uniform) and I was told that they needed to see my cards. I showed them my cards and I was able to buy them.

For rank insignia, they need to see proof for you to obtain one (advancement report or rank card). Those councils that do not, they should.

It saddens me to think of a possibility of someone who did not earn Eagle Scout having an Eagle Scout kit (especially those who purchased them through ebay).

I don't see what the big deal is with rank insignia. The card is what is proof that you earned it.

As a point of reference, when I was a Midshipman, I went to the Navy uniform shop at Norfolk and bought a set of Admiral's stars. I was wearing dungarees so I looked like a Seaman but there was no fuss nor muss. Never did get to wear them but I still have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year our local Scout Shop started refusing to sell rank patches and knots without proof that the boy (or you) had earned them. No ifs, ands, or, buts! No proof, no badge, no patch and no knot.

Slowly, it is becoming well know that if you want a replacement or duplicate, you will have to carry the award card with you when you walk into the shop.

For first issues, you must have the Advancement Report.

Coincidentally, our local Scout Shop is co located with the Council Service Center. So, if you dont have your card you can always go to the Service Desk and have them verify the award for you. The service desk folk give you a scribbled piece of paper and the Scout Shop guy is very happy.