Uniforms for fairly cheap

An old friend is currently working to build a Scout group (Cubs and Boy Scouts) at his church in the inner city. Most of the kids come from single family homes. They are obviously low on money. The kids are trying to learning Scouting without the use of handbooks, uniforms, etc. My troop donated some old camping equipment to get them started.

They are trying to help the kids families come up with uniforms, but cost is obviously an issue. We've looked on Ebay, but it doesn't help a whole lot (especially once you add in shipping). Does anyone know of some places where we might be able to get some cheaper uniforms? Also, if anyone has a current edition of the handbook they aren't using, would you mind donating it to these Scouts so they can at least start working on their advancement? I donated an old handbook from a Scout that was in our troop for about three months and quit. Right now, that is the troop library. Thanks in advance.

Not knowing where you are located might be a fly in the ointment when it comes to people sending you stuff.

Sad to say I am aware of a good number of Scouts in packs and troops that are in the same boat that your friend is in. So while I would hate to come off sounding mean or stingy I for one feel that I have to look after the Scouts in our area before I can go further afield.

Has your friend asked the council if there are any funds available? At times people donate money which is marked for a specific use.

Then there is the chartered organization - Will they lend a hand?

They could run a fund raiser to raise the money for books and uniforms.

Maybe a article in the local newspaper about them being a new unit and all the things that they are doing and hope to do with a mention of looking for experienced uniforms might draw some interest.

A letter to the local churches that hold sales asking them to put Scout uniforms aside might help.

Strange as it may seem a good well run program is about the best way to get these Lads in uniform and up to date with their books. I have ran a troop in the inner city where money was very tight. The troop was over 80 Scouts. More then 60% were non-white. The Scouts came from subsidized housing where drugs and a lot of not so nice things happened. But every Scout was in uniform. Why? Because the parent or parents thought that the program was important enough to invest in. A Boy Scout Handbook at $7.95 is less then two packs of cigarettes.

While we did have a uniform bank there was nothing that will ever beat the look of pride in a young Lads face when he arrived at a troop meeting wearing his new uniform. He may have waited for a birthday or till Christmas - But he got it and it was his.

My 2 Cents.

Eamonn

If donatations aren't fortcoming from the church or Council, start looking at rummage sales and thrift shops. I've found complete uniforms. For books, try used book stores and thrift shops. Not long ago, I came across six brand new handbooks in a used book store.

Something that I've thought about doing for my district is getting the local paper to run a small story about needing "experienced" uniforms. If nothing else, think of all the uniforms that belong to kids that dropped out after crossover. They buy a uniform, wear it for a month and then quit. Mom would probably love to get rid of it.

My grandmother works at a St. Vincent de Paul store. (similar to Salvation Army or Goodwill)

We used to have her keep an eye out for any Scouting related things, particularly uniforms. Unfortunately, I think our uniform bank is no longer in operation. That only ever turned up a uniform every once in a while, but it turned up flags in need of retirement all the time. If you are able to work out an agreement with a couple of thrift stores in the community, you should be able to pull in a decent amount of uniforms over time.

I would second the suggestion of checking with the local council and the charter organization to try to find funds. Also, there are sometimes grants available from various trust funds and charitable groups that could apply to Scouting. I know a local unit in the housing projects was fully equipped using a grant they got from someplace a few years ago.

Another possibility would be to approach churches, civic groups, or other Scout friendly organizations that do not currently sponsor a Scout unit of their own. They may be able to provide some help.

Also, check with other local Scouting units. Some unit may have a bunch of old uniforms in its bank that it is willing to let you have. There could even be serviceable equipement that they have replaced that you could use.

If all else fails work with the charter organisation to plan a fundraiser to benefit the troop and pack. In fact, it is probably a good idea to do a fundraiser at some point even if you get uniforms, books, and other supplies donated. That way there will be funds for activities and for future needs.

try: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/searchKey.asp?itemTitle=scout&catID=0&sellerID=all&closed=no&minPrice=&maxPrice=&sortBy=itemEndTime&sortOrder=a&submit1=Search

(none there right now, but book mark it and check in latter.

As for a uniform bank, ours was always empty until we started buying and selling uniforms. $5 for a shirt or pants. We buy from the boys and sell to them at the same price. Now the boys remember to bring them back and there's no "shame" in taking one out.