a knotty delimma

Absolutely! It used to be that BSA would stock square knots with the appropriate background color to match the uniform...for instance, Eagle knots (R/W/B) could be purchased with a dark green, blue, white or olive green background. It looked much nicer.

Currently, BSA Supply Division does not issue distinctive dress identity knots for the kelly green Venturing uniforms or other Venturing/Sea Scouting uniforms. Other organizations/firms/companies have made special versions of these knots to be available to wear on your uniform, however, they are not officially endorsed by the BSA to wear them. You will need to contact your local Council's Scout Executive for permission to wear these emblems. If your unit is a Ship, check out http://www.seascout.org/general_resources/ships_stores/patches.html for knot emblems that can be worn on your uniform... only on the disgression of your local Council's Scout Executive.

In the past few months, somewhere on the web I saw a site where someone had knock-off knots on Venture green and Sea Scout white backgrounds. I have no clue where I found them, but if you search you can probably find them.

I know, I know, they're not official, but if you found original BSA knots on eBay, you could wear them. I doubt anyone could tell the difference.