The Scout Pants/Shorts Debate

In our troop we're revamping our bylaws. Should we or shouldn't we require the Scout pants/shorts is the big issue.

I'm for the full uniform. Others on the troop committee say they should be optional (maily due to costs).

What dose your unit do?

The elements of Boy Scout Uniform are determined by the Nation Executive committee. No unit or individual has the authority to alter it.

I commend you for wearing the correct uniform. The goal in the unit should be full and correct uniform at appropriate times. The unit should help make it possible for all scouts to own a correct uniform. The use of uniform recycling, thrift shops, garage sales, uniform exchanges and E-Bay should be employed along with new uniform purchases, to assist scouts to be in uniform.

Good grooming and proper uniforming are from head to toe.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I would hate to lose a scout because they couldnt afford the troops full uniform. Having said that, I could see a phase in period. Announce at the first Sept meeting that starting next Sept a full uniform (read pants/shorts) will be required. Announce every COH and in every mailing and 2 times a month. Next sept will be very soon. New scouts likewise would have one year to get pants/shorts. You can set a policy and deadline.

I agree with OGE.

I would not lose a scout for lack of a uniform. I was shocked to find a troop's web-site that had a policy whereby if the scout was not in full uniform within 2 months they were barred from troop activities until they had the uniform. That's outrageous!

Honestly I wouldn't have any deadline at all. They should wear the uniform because they feel a part of the group and because of pride in who they are and what they stand for. In some scouts that takes longer to develop than in others.

I would make it as easy as possible to get the uniform and not water down the program by saying the uniform is less than what the BSA says it is. Altering the basic components is not in our authority.

Continue to set a good example.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Ebay is great for getting uniform pieces. I have gotten my son one pair of long pants in his current size and one pair in the next size up. Both current style. Don't think I paid a total of more than $20.

Just be sure that you are buying the current style, unless you want something else.

Lightening may strike but I agree with Bob here.

Our troop has long had a rather wimpy uniform policy in that a uniform is consdidered complete with just shirt and cap.

I find it ironic that those that complain most about the uniform are the ones in the $400,000 and %500,000 homes and don't bat an eye at paying $50 for a new game cartridge.

Unfortunately, my son doesn't wear official trousers beause the uniform shop doesn't sell any with a small enough waist. Yep, that's right. I bought a pair of size 8 ($39.80, overpriced at half the cost) and they fell off of him. I don't know about you but I'm not willing to pay a tailor to alter my son's uniform. I wound up going to Kohl's and buying a pair of olive drab trousers that match the color for only $14.

The new pants are pricey & those new pockets are trash. Having said that I am all in favor of full uniforms. In my Troop, I only require the leaders (SPL, ASPL, PL's, QM's, etc) to have full uniforms. This is strictly a $$$ issue and my logic is all Scouts need a position of responsibility to advance past 1st Class so they will all eventually need full uniforms. Plus, this gives the parents some time to save up or find a used pair. I am always in full uniform. Setting the example, ya see!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop1

1 Peter 4:10

Geez, Yaworski, I thought I had the smallest, skinniest scout living in my house. Sounds like you have me beat. My son can wear the size 8 now that he gained weight since February, still has to be careful to not put heavy objects in his pockets. If they expect brand new Webelos to wear the green pants at the end of 3rd grade they better start making smaller sizes.