Mish Mosh of Uniform Parts

Again, I agree, with Mike.

jbroganjr, I based my response on the info you provided in your first two posts. You never said this was one day out of the year or that the the current PLC determined the uniform.

More info could have produced a different response.

Bob

Bob,

Sorry about that, I assumed that most troops are boy run and the plc determines most of these things, at least our troop does, but I see from so many other posts, that this is not always the case and when assuming, there is the tendency to make an *&^ out of u and me, and I apologize for that.

I does seem that Mike long, you and I are on the same page.

To answer about the philmont trip, this scout has only been in scouts for 3 months, he went as a family member when his family went there for venture training.

That still entitles him to wear a Philmont patch, just not the arrowhead patch. The arrowhead is a symbol of participation on a trek. However he can wear the Philmont Family Camp or the Philmont Training Center Patch. He can even wear the Philmont longhorn on a red jack-shirt.

I hope he would wear his Philmont patch. the Philmont Training Center and its family activity program are outstanding. Maybe those scouts asking about it will encourage their scouter parents to go to PLC on a family vacation.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 4 weeks later...

Bob White

from your post on Aug 9

"Learning the importance of good grooming is more important than all looking identical. Nowhere does the scouting program ask, require or suggest, that every scout in the troop should dress identically. How does dressing identically help develop character, citizenship or fitness?"

Check out The Methods of Scouting - Method 9

Your right ASM7 and I should have made myself more clear. What I was trying to say that scouts can all be in a correct uniform and not all look exactly the same.

The uniform certainly does develop a sense of belonging, a sense of team, a sense of community. But those can all be accomplished with some in shorts, some in long sleeve shirt some in short sleeve, or even Troop shirts and everyone in a different neckerchief.

I was trying to say that there are lots of ways to personalize a uniform and still accomplish the goals, but you need to be in a fulll, correct uniform to achieve all the benefits. That the uniform should not be BSA just down to the belt and expect to get the same benefits.

Thanks for pointing out my errors of ommission and for giving me an opportunity to clarify my point.

Bob