Bob White doesn't need anyone defending his assertions (he does well by himself, although we often disagree), but I feel compelled to step in and restate his position. Unless I'm mistaken, I understand that a troop can adopt any hat as part of their official troop uniform (per the new policy). Unless the hat is inconsistent with BSA standards (i.e., offensive in some way), it would be recognized as part of the official uniform (including a Philmont trading post hat).

Not looking to be so disagreeable, but...

in a different thread i brought up the topic of a new scout who showed up w/ philmont hat, neckerchief, etc. which is not our troop uniform. Our troop policy was to wear an approved uniform, guidelines set by the plc (yes i did not mention that the plc approved it in my original post) .

imho, Bob White's replies to that post seemed to encourage a scout to wear whatever parts of the uniform he felt fit. That may be a broad generalization of his reply, but it is the message i received from him, especially after encouraging the scout to wear this stuff in the hopes that the scout and his family go to philmont on vacation.

My point being that a uniform is just that and with this thread and the other thread, we are at a point were my original contentions are true, concerning a hat and neckerchief.

I am glad that this is the only "mountain" of a problem for me. (Sarcasm intended).

I do believe in looking the same and having our character make us individuals.