Why a Uniform ?

I've read posts on here complaining about the costs of uniforms , which I partially agree with, but which there are ways around. And I've read posts on here about wearing the uniform in public.

I was always taught that the uniform was used to make all the boys the same no matter what backround. Second it was used as a tool for neatness and pride. Then after all that it was used for public recognition.

So why are we always trying to change the "uniform" to fit our particular needs?

Last year, I had a parent on my track team complain to me about the high cost of her daughter competing in track and cross country. I did some research to see how much it cost per year (this includes both XC and track).

3-4 pairs running shoes $300

XC camp $40

2 sports bras $40

running shorts $20

Then I compared it to the other sports in our school. We were the second cheapest in the school, with only swimming being cheaper (they wear the least, so it makes sense). Several sports told the kids coming out they needed to plan on laying out at least $1000 to participate based on the equipment they would need, not counting what the school provided. Also, the kids don't have to pay a fee to the school to participate (some schools in our area require that). After I pointed those things out to that parent, she was glad her daughter was on my team and didn't have other, more expensive hobbies.

By the way, that was the cost per year. I know the BSA uniforms are overpriced (if you are in favor of moving the production overseas instead of having them made here in the USA, let the BSA know), but compare the cost of being outfitted for Scouts compared with these sports or a girl who is in dance (I couldn't believe the costs associated with dance, yet most parents don't blink when the write the checks for that), and you'll find it is relatively cheap. The uniforms, if properly cared for, will last until a Scout outgrows them and probably through 2-3 Scouts (we've had Scouts pass down uniforms and there have been some that have been used by three different Scouts over a period of several years before they disappear while still in good shape).

I believe that any Scout who is serious about wanting to do well with the program can come up with a uniform and take care of it. Besides, how often do they have to wear it? Four evenings a month for 2-3 hours and one weekend a month for a basic Scout. If they are really serious and get active in OA and need to wear the uniform more, then they probably will have the committment to get and maintain the uniform.

As I said in my post I partially disagree about the price or complaints about the price of the uniform. I do want a uniform that is made in the U.S. I agree that someone is charging too much for the uniforms but you'll have to answer my question about where the money goes.

As far as the costs for a boy in Scouts I feel this argument is unfounded. First a used Scout uniform is as good if not better than a new one for a boy. Especially if it is presented in the proper way as an experienced uniform that carried the previous wearer to accomplish great tasks. I am listed at many thrift stores and anytime a uniform comes in they call me. I then sell the uniform to a boy for what I paid for it. That's right I sell it not give it. But I give a money back guarantee with no time limit! Second, there aren't many organizations that provide the opportunities for learning economics like Boy Scouts. First economic lesson is if you want something, earn it. Our spring fundraiser every year is Scout Expo tickets which are coupons for area businesses. The prizes consist of items from the Scout catalog including uniforms. One of the prizes is also a week of camp that many of our boys earn.

• 2 months later...

I'm one of those with heartburn over the cost of the full uniform and the requirement to have every cotton-picking item. That said, I agree with the response that says "earn it," as that is one of the goals of the program to teach kids that even high goals within their grasp.

I agree that scouting is not more expensive than many youth sports. The part that might be missed is that many kids, including mine, know not even to ASK about the sports that have those kinds of costs associated with them. I think youth sports are great for many kids, my nephew is a starting pitcher for Sam Houston State (notice proud aunt brag) but for my own kids, we decided scouting gave us a bigger bang for our buck.

I was shocked to hear how much being a cheerleader costs. They have to have personalized warm up suits, pom-poms, special shoes, socks, outfit, etc. Plus summer camp was something like $300.

I know some of those parents who don't mind dishing out the money for sports uniforms, special bags, t-shirts for the parents that match the team, special workshops, etc. Same parents don't want to buy the Scouting uniforms. Same parents who then talked bad about one parent buying his kid's clothes at the Goodwill store. Then they complained about the cost of summer camp for Boy Scouts and for 4-H.

I was one of the first parents to stand up at the Elementary school against the use of school uniforms. Almost 80% of the parents were in favor of casual uniforms. How many kids wear them? No where near 80%. My kid LIKES them, he doesn't have to make a choice in the morning.

My son will be attending 4-H camp this summer. He said the other day he wanted to wear his Scout uniform to 4-H camp because "they will respect me then." He sees the people (adults especially) treat him differently when in his uniform. He has problems about wanting to dress nice and clean. If the uniform helps him take pride in his appearance, I'll buy more than one!