Uniforms for Disabled Scouts/Scouters

I have a problem that some of you may have a solution to.

Due to multiple disabling conditions, I am in a wheelchair 95+% of the time. As anyone who works with the disabled knows, most clothing is not cut for those of us in wheelchairs. This is especially true of BSA uniforms, which are ALWAYS smaller than standard sizing.

If anyone has some suggestions as to how I can modify my shirts and pants for W/C life, I would appreciate ths comments.

Thank you,

Paul Johnson

Cubmaster, Pack 17

Lander, Wyoming

KL - Thanks for reminding me about the "special order" section.

The problem is that wheelchair bound individuals need a significantly differant cut to be comfortable. I just do not know how to modify the uniform (pants especially) for this fit.

Some things that are differant include in the pants - Higher back (to accomodate constant sitting), pockets on lower legs (cannot get to rear and waist pockets while seated), differant cut on leg cuffs (just look at your own when seated!)

As you may have noticed, those of us in chairs loose abdominal tone, so the fit of shirts need to be looser in the arms (for pushing), abdomen and back (to allow turning while seated).

Simply buying larger clothing makes us look "dissheveled" as the appropriate size of chest would be several sizes too large for the neck. And even buying larger pants has done nothing for comfort. I sat through a 3 hour recognition dinner tonight, and was never comfortable. I usually wear sweats because they are significantly more comfortable. However I try to provide my pack, troop, and den with an appropriately dressed role model.

Paul Johnson,

Troop CHair, Cubmaster, Den leader

Lander, WY