• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week delay in advancement is hardly enough time for a scout to show real improvement in reverence or scout spirit. So, is the idea to re-evaluate every week after?

The newest version of the requirements give us some help with scout spirit. They place some responsibility on the scout to come up with examples and/or references.

neil, if you're referring to what I wrote, I completely agree that a week's delay is probably insufficient. However, I wasn't consulted. As I said, I choose to not serve that troop anymore. There were just too many differences between me and the majority, over what was acceptable behavior. My point to basement was: yeah, I've been the one to say "hang on" to a scout before. He seemed to be looking for examples where that had actually happened.

On the other hand, I can imagine a situation in which a boy comes to a BOR without having given much thought to things, acts snippy or sullen without realizing how he's coming across, as teens sometimes do, or simply gets nervous or defensive and clams up. In that case, maybe re-convening in a week's time is ok - give the boy a little time to rethink, prepare, and take a second crack at it, but not really a "punishment" if he hadn't done anything really wrong.