Activities Before Crossover

evry,

I'd have to say no. The requirement reads:

6.While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leaders satisfaction.

a. Second Class7a and 7c (first aid)

b. Second Class1a (outdoor skills)

c. Second Class3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

d. First Class8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

e. First Class1, 7a, and 7b (outdoor skills)

f. First Class4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

The reason I'd say no is that the younger Scout referenced in the requirement seems to be a Boy Scout working on Second or First Class rank. I realize it doesn't specify Boy Scout or their rank or SM or ASM, but in my mind it is implied. Your mileage my vary. ;)

SP,

The camping merit badge nights of camping is one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things. When I was a newly mented ASM in another troop, I thought the same thing that a boy could count previous nights camping. Then in 2005 I went as an ASM to Jambo. The guy who was our Jambo SM is an engineer and as such, he has a very ordered, analyetical mind and applies logic to everything. It can be quite annoying when he is trying to divide food up on a backpacking trip. :) His personal approach for all the MB's he has taught is that the requirements of the MB begin when you start the MB, not before. To him, this applies to all MB's and not just some. Like my example of the Joournalism MB and my son. He has never taken the MB, but he has been on the school newspaper staff for 4 years. Should he get automatic credit for all the requirements or would he be expected to do them to the satisfaction of the MBC after he signs up for the MB? If he kas to do them for that MB, why wouldn't he have to do it for any of the others? We eventually moved to this SM's troop and we've been there since late 2005. So the environment WE come from says MB requirements are done after you sign up, not before and we've accepted it. Now, can a kid from our troop shop around and find a different MBC who allows previous nights camping? Sure. Will the SM explain his logic to the boy beforehand? Yep, but he won't stop him.

Me, I prefer that they do the requirements after they sign up because it just makes sense to me. MB's shouldn't be an obstacle, but they shouldn't be check off lists either. They serve a purpose of education and adult association. But I can accept the nights camping thing whichever way a particular MBC wants to go.