Giving Rank and Taking Rank Away; IOLS Test Out Spin Off

I could do the same Beavah, but you and I are not 12 years old.

Yah, speak for yourself, eh? :) Always young at heart!

The young folks are better at learning and less forgetful than us old farts. Mrs. Beavah can attest to that!

I learned to canoe when I was 12-13 and didn't get in a canoe again until after college. Had no trouble at all doin' all the canoe MB skills the first day back on da water.

As long as we expect 'em to really learn, to be proficient enough they can be 300 feet or 300 miles away without worries, then they're not going to "forget" da skill next week, next month, or even next year. If they're "forgetting", then we're failing at really teachin' 'em to be proficient before signing 'em off.

That's a bit scary, eh? Most of da stuff in T-2-1 is stuff we expect kids to know to be safe. If yeh signed off on "what to do when lost" and the lad "forgot" it before the next campout, then it doesn't strike me as being the most responsible thing. If the lad is tyin' stuff to the roof of the car with a garbage knot because he "forgot" all the knots he'd been signed off on as being proficient, that's goin' to be a problem for the poor fellow driving behind you. ;)

A Boy Scout badge recognizes what a young man is able to do; it is not a reward for what he has done.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son's soccer team was working at the Christmas tree lot as a team fundraiser. They're supposed to carry the chosen tree out to the customer's vehicle. He had to teach the rest of the team how to do the knots. I guess that's why bungee cords are popular.