Teaching a MB with little expertise

Speaking in my role as District Merit Badge Counselor Trainer...

Lots of people here should re-read what ScoutNut posted:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the BSA Guide for MErit Badge Counselors -

"The merit badge counselor is a key player in the Boy Scout advancement program. Whatever your area of EXPERTISE or INTEREST whether it is a special craft or hobby (basketry, leatherwork, coin collecting), a profession (veterinary medicine, aviation, engineering), or perhaps a life skill (cooking, personal management, communications) as a merit badge counselor, you can play a vital role in stirring a young man's curiosity about that particular topic."

From the BSA Merit Badge Counselor Application -

"To qualify as a merit badge counselor, you must

Be at least 18 years old.

BE PROFICIENT IN THE MERIT BADGE SUBJECT BY VOCATION, AVOCATION, OR SPECIAL TRAINING.

Be able to work with Scout-age boys.

Be registered with the Boy Scouts of America."

The CAPS are mine for emphasis.

How can you stir anyone's curiosity in a subject if you only have a passing knowledge of it, or really don't care a whole bunch about it, and find it boring?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merit Badge Counselors select themselves, based on their decision that they have knowledge, skill, or passion about a subject!!

So, to Bando, I'd contact your friendly District Advancement Chairman and ask who the local Counselors in Environmental Science are, and then pass them to the ASM. If he's wanting in-Troop Counselors, I'd tell him "Think about Adult Association. Our young men should be experiencing new folks, adults they've not yet met. They'll be doing that soon enough as they start to get jobs and step into adult life."(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)