Last night I did the TLT, spent a few minutes on Goals and then switched to meeting planning. Got dark early.

Afterward we worked on the paper rockets. Launched them in the dark, for the most part the boys got it.

John-

We are not really disagreeing. If we are using the Patrol method, the Scoutmaster is functioning as a "Patrol Leader" for his PLC. The SM and PLC should be going on outings as a group. On those outings the SM teaches leadership by his example. He teaches the PLC skills as he would expect a PL or other Junior Leader to do so.

I have no problem with the theory behind EDGE. As others have stated, it is really just a common sense method which good leaders have used forever.

My concern is that we are sitting our boys in a classroom with PowerPoint and video presentations. I sat through one of those Junior Leader classes last winter. It was well done if the participants were MBA candidates. Lots of charts and graphs and PowerPoint. Multiple presenters. Somebody had really put some effort into the program. But the only time the boys showed interest was when they went outside for team building exercises. I'm guessing few made any connection between the class and the exercises.

All of this indoor training is not making our Scouts more enthusiastic about staying in the program. Another experiment...ask your PLC whether they would rather attend an outstanding six hour EDGE training class indoors with lots of glossy presentations, or go on a dayhike with their SM where they will focus on some new outdoor skills. See which one they choose.

The buzzwords do matter in the sense that they are part of an overall teaching methodology. Since the early 70's Scouting has moved indoors at a steady pace. The perfect example is that Camping Merit Badge is no longer an Eagle requirement.

Read an old edition of the Scoutmaster Handbook and take your boys outside. They will learn everything they will need to be effective leaders and citizens.

Ken

I work for a company that makes missiles, As a software architect for the missile code I also get to see missiles get launched. I guess I'm a rocket scientist.

These are a lot of fun because they use compressed air instead of an engine. With the right conditions the rocket can go pretty high.

http://www.freewebs.com/lorus14u/rocket-boys-rocket-launchers.pdf

I built the launcher a few years ago for $20

DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO CHARGE THE LAUNCHER. USE A HAND PUMP ONLY. This is from experience watching a colleague of mine try to be smart. One of the end caps blew off with force.