Counseling (not teaching) Citizenship Badges

Yah, in da parent thread, ASM411 mentioned how his old unit used to do the "merit badge class" thing for the Citizenship Badges. I agree with him it's a very common way to go, especially because in a lot of ways da citizenship badges are pretty dry and hard to "get into."

So for those of you who are Citizenship MB counselors, how about some ideas of what you've done to really make those badges not be classes, and instead be active, fun mentoring and learning opportunities for a boy. Give us all some ideas on how to break the school class w/homework habit.

Beavah

It ain't easy, Beavah. I do teach it as a "class," but a very informal one. I like to have the boys around in a circle on chairs or the floor, wherever they prefer. What I do is ask the boys questions about each requirement/topic and see what they think. In a discussion format, if they "get it" I just confirm my agreement and move on. If they don't, then I teach. Not lecture, but by discussion, until they get the point. I always make sure there's plenty of fun and try to break up if they're getting bored. I don't give tests, it's a case of judging whether the kids really understand a particular point.

I don't assign homework, unless it's a movie or TV program to watch, and of course, the dreaded written stuff. When the written stuff comes back, I normally wonder what they do at school and then we talk about what they should have written until they can go home and write something that makes sense.

I like groups of about 3-5. Anything larger turns into a classroom setting which is not what I want.

Yah, apparently not many people have any ideas eh?

Here's one.

What is everyone doin' with the election? Anybody hosting a Cit. Nation MB session on election night and watchin' the returns come in? Printing out ballots for each of da boys to vote, and providin' 'em with League of Women Voters and other independent information sources so they can learn about the issues and candidates at all levels?

Anybody takin' lads to local debates? Hostin' MB sessions in conjunction with televised state or national debates?

How about goin' to visit local campaign headquarters of each party or various candidates?

How about goin' to visit da local headquarters of a lobbying organization? Teacher's Union, Chamber of Commerce, ACLU, Right to Life, etc.?

Perhaps pursuing an issue? Like finding somethin' a lad is interested in and checking into da law (legislative), regulations (executive) and case law (judicial), reporting (media), science/research, and public opinion on it?

Seems like right now, between da election and financial fracas there's a million ways to approach Cit. Nation in particular.

B