ugh, advancement rant

LisaBob

I agree with you 100% most adult leaders will not bother to stand up to a bully parent and will allow a kid to slide by. I think another reason this occurs is that very few adult scoutmasters bring a full skill set to the program, even after attending all the training, and they need to surround themselves with ASM's who do have those other needed skills to help present a solid program to the boys. It is rather simplistic to state that the scoutmaster is solely responsible for the program advancement, that is why you have ASM's, troop committees to help with the delivery and reinforcement of a quality program.

A scoutmaster is a person who is a volunteer that is volunteering their time because they believe in what scouting stands for. A scoutmaster is not supposed to be a petty dictator or someone alone on a deserted island trying to figure out how to survive on their own. In both of these scenarios the resulting troop will surely fail. A good scoutmaster is one who is solidly supported by a cadre of excellent adults who bring a myriad of skill sets to help deliver the program, and reinforces with each boy that all rank badges are earned and are symbols of mastering a set of skills they are not just given out because you show up and give minimal to no effort. Using the scouting program is also vital to a troops success, the problem is in many troops scoutmasters, due to poor training methods in more than a few councils, are not well prepared to deliver this program on their own. Merit badge mills and Eagle mill troops are signs of lazy adult leadership who have no vision or ability to develop a program that will develop their youth into the leaders of the future.

I agree that CalicoPenn has hit the nail on the head. It is painful to deal with kids and parents like this, but it can and must be done. We have had issues like this from time to time and the Scoutmaster has made sure that the ASM's and the Committee are on board before approaching the boy and parents. It's also imperative that the Scoutmaster have some of those folks present during the discussion. In a case like this it will probably end up that the boy will transfer or drop out. If not, and the behavior continues, he can be thrown out of the troop. Be sure to work with the DE if it goes this far.

Believe me, you'll save a lot more good kids by dealing with this nonsense head-on than trying to save the one kid who probably isn't getting anything out of the program anyway.