How long before kit is received?

After the BOR, the form is signed.

It then should make its way to the Council Service Center to be signed by the Scout Executive.

Some Scouter's seem to take this thrifty thing a bit too far or maybe are scared of going to the post office to buy a stamp?

"I'm going that way"

"I pass the office on my way home"

"I'll just drop it off"

I think you get the picture.

Sometimes something happens and the form is left in a briefcase, in the car and the car and the Scouter for some reason don't get to the Service Center.

Sometimes SE's are away.

Sometimes all sorts of things can happen.

As a rule it takes about a month or so.

I'd give the Council Service Center a call and ask if everything is OK?

If it seems that thy have no idea what you are talking about, give the SM a call and have him call the District Advancement Chairman.

Good Luck and congrats to your son on becoming an Eagle Scout.

Eamonn.

(Have just read what you said.

The kit is normally something that the Troop buys once the OK comes from National Office.)(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

My experience has been two to four months.

Like Eamonn said, depends upon a whole lot of variables. I've also been told it depends upon how backed up Irving is, seasonal timing can effect that, too? (passing the buck?)

Our council used to buy and send to me (the SM) the big kit with parents, mentor, and Eagle pins and Eagle patch, but the newer SE changed that just to the Eagle pin itself.

JTS

thank you all so very much! I feel much better about the timeline now. I 'think' our council sends out the Eagle kits. I assume my son gets some kind of letter/document formalizing his eagle rank from National? Sorry for the questions....we had a turnover of our scoutmaster and the new one has had one family emergency after another and isn't readily available. Thanks for the congratulations. My son has been in scouts since Tigers and is only shy of 16. He plans to remain in until he graduates.

I believe everything goes to the Scoutmaster as I usually am the one that gets to break the news that his application was rejected - "OOOps, I mean accepted..." , but that may vary by Council.

I get nothing directly from national. But it looks like national sends the certificate and all to our council, who add to the Eagle pin and additional congrats letter before sending to me. I'm presuming that is the routine through the eight Eagles I've had the honor to work with (currently have 7 Life Scouts that are in some stage of their Eagle project!). But I've never really discussed it with anyone before. The additional hands it goes through may explain why mine typically take longer than the 4-6 weeks national says.

JTS

The last dozen Eagles I processed as a Unit Advancement coordinator, the info turned around from National Office in under two weeks.

I think a friendly call from the SM/CC to the DE is in order. Ask him/her to coordinate through the Registrar's office and make sure the paperwork has left the Council.

If your Registrar is anything like mine, he/she will call the right person in Irving and see what's going on there. Mail does get lost (in either direction). Paperwork does languish in an in-box.

Start with the SM/CC calling your DE :)

Have a great Friday.

Turnaround in in our council (National Capital Area) is usually 2 weeks. If I recall the kit comes to the Scout Service Center which then sends a postcard to the SM telling him that it is ready for pickup. Postcards sometimes get lost so it wouldn't hurt for the SM to call the SSC; the kit might be sitting there. Congrats to you and your Eagle.

NLDScout,

Every council does somethign a little different. In my home council, if a unit met certain requirements all advancement was paid for by the council, except for the eagle kit. While they would pay for the rank patch, the unit bought the kit. Usually we got the free rank and the kit. In two other councils I was in, everything came out of the unit funds. I don't know if it still happens in my current council, I've been affiliated with the district for too long, but when I was a pro here, they had one of the local banks sponsor the eagle kits so once the paperwork came in, a kit also went out with the certificate, letter, and card.

Eagle92,

Remember there are two separate packages associated with Eagle. There is the medal presentation kit furnished by Supply, and there is the Eagle Packet with certificate, credit card, and letter of congratulations from Irving. I think most of us are talking about the latter. Not to put words in his mouth, but I saw the Judge's question being a clarifyer... are we talking about paper, or the medal?

I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread! Your posts were helpful....it is good to know how it is done in other areas. My son's former scoutmaster went to the scout store on Friday to find out where his son's Eagle notification was. Both his son's and my son's were there. Apparently notice was sent to the new scoutmaster who was to notify us it was in the office. We never received noticed from the scoutmaster, but as he will probably be leaving us and things are a little crazy for him, he may not have gotten it. Anyway, all is good and we are thrilled. Now we can start planning the Court of Honor. OH..and we had to buy the kit. This should all be easier when son #2 gets his Eagle in a few years! Thanks so much!