Cycling Merit Badge Jersey

I led the cycling merit badge this summer and it was a great experience for everyone involved. Many of the boys as well as adults are now excited about riding and will keep doing it I am sure. Most clubs and groups have custom jerseys to wear on group rides. It would be really great if the Scouts participating would have had this as an option. The cost is just too high for a small order and I am curious if anyone is aware of resource for a Scout branded/logo jersey. Given this is an Eagle required badge, there has to be hundreds of youth every year that are out riding.

One thing Ive seen done is that you get a silkscreen logo for the event you are doing. We have a basic troop t-shirt with our little logo on the upper right breast. When we go do some fun things, I can get a silkscreen made up for about $50. We just email whatever image we want to a local t-shop and he makes the frame. After were done we drop it back off at his shop so he can do it again for us later. We have a squeegee and buy whatever color paint the guys want. They silkscreen on the image themselves where ever on the shirt they want its their shirt. Its really fun and adds to the event experience (canoeing trip, Gettysburg, hiking a trail...). Ive got some guys that are quite good, do multiple colors, and one even got a part time job at the shop during summers.

• 1 month later...

I have conducted 3 bike tours down the Calif coast for my Varstiy Team (400+ miles). This last time we had custom cycling jerseys printed. They were designed by a scout for his high school graphics art class. We used Champion System. There are some initial fees, but once that's done, there is no minimum on size or quantity (if memory serves me). They provide fully custom sublimation printing (needed for jerseys, lithographic printing doesn't cut it). Contact me if you would like to see what we did.

We also had custom activity uniforms (t shirts) printed so they were still "in uniform" once in camp, showered, changed, etc.

The beauty of the custom jerseys is that we were able to put our route on it as well as sponsors. We learned that begging $$ is a great option. We had about 10 corporate sponsors that gave us $ or products. A standardized jersey would not allow for this, plus the boys could not design it. Thanks for the compliment. The t-shirts were a simplified version of the jersey in their graphic. We lucked out and got some nice New Balance tech material shirts...again, a company that supported us gave them to us at cost.