SM/BOR/TC - we are all in this together

In another thread, some potential reasons were suggested about why a SM signs off on scout spirit requirement for scouts

that have actually demonstrated LACK of same. I am sure that there are sufficient examples to make such arguments;

I would like to offer another prespective.

Summary from the other thread:

1) Too many SMs don't want to do the heavy lifting of truly mentoring scouts...

4) Then the problem falls into the laps of the BOR members, who are not generally in a position to DO anything about it.

Does the SM hope that the BOR will bail him/her out by showing fortitude where the SM didn't? Or does the SM want someone

else to blame? Or does the SM simply want to complain - because any or all of these are the likely results of dumping this

sort of problem in the BOR's lap.

I will offer that it is tough to sit across from a scout, one on one, and explain to him where he is lacking, and that he

is not yet ready to advance. I had that experience when I was a new SM, it is tough. I will make an analogy, and say that

I expect it would be easier for someone that has been a teacher and had experience talking to students ( and their parents ),

who were complaining about grades that the teach gave.

Let me provide some background: As a new SM, I took a position with a very hands off committee. 25 - 30 boys;

troop committee meetings that might have 4 - 6 people in attendance, unless there was a major issue. One ASM.

No outings committee, no adult quartermaster, no chaplain - If I as SM did not do those things, they did not get done.

The advancement chair, who was an Eagle scout, gave me the advice that sometimes you have to grit your teeth and sign off,

but that as long as the correct number of MB's had been obtained, that was sufficient. It took a little while to see that

this was not working, and was not effective in helping the scouts become men of character. It took much longer to get the

committee to provide the support that they needed to provide so that the SM actually had time to have those mentoring talks

with scouts. And even longer to get a majority of parents to buy into advancement not being automatic.

Based on my experience, I dont think that there are too many SM's that "don't want to do the heavy lifting", but rather

there are many SM's that a) haven't reached that point on their learning curve where they realize that they are not helping

a scout by signing off on scout spirit that has not been demonstrated, or b) don't have the available time to mentor

30 scouts, on top of filling other troop roles, or c)don't believe they have the backing of parents and troop committee.

There are probably other reasons as well.

I ask that everyone recognize that bringing scouts is a team effort. It takes everyone working together to make a troop a

valuable experience for the boys. And there are times when we as adults need to back each other up. When the committee is

having a difficult time getting camping reservations made, the SM may have to do it. And when you have a SM that has a

difficult time mentoring a troubled scout, the BOR may have to be the heavy. But then get together to discuss the issue,

and how to work together to resolve it. Perhaps in some instances it is a SM that is unwilling to do the heavy lifting of

mentoring and the best course of action will turn out to be to replace him/her. but my suspicion is that is not the

majority of cases.