he earned 'em all...

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBSMADS1VE.html

Name Any Merit Badge: This Scout Has It

By FRANK GLUCK Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Published: Nov 28, 2006

BRADENTON - Thomas Hall didn't set out to become a Boy Scout merit badge superstar.

But while other scouting high-achievers around him were satisfied by earning a mere few dozen merit badges, the 18-year-old Bradenton high school student just kept ticking them off.

Then, about a year ago, Hall realized he had 105 and was within striking distance of earning all 121 merit badges, a feat few have achieved.

"I just kept getting all my merit badges and I figured, I'm pretty close, I might as well go for it," Hall said.

To reach the 121-badge summit, Hall took a trip to Oregon to snowboard (for the Snow Sports Badge), bicycled more than 150 miles around Manatee County (for the Cycling Badge), and had to clean out a sink or toilet trap (for the Plumbing Badge).

Hall's journey began in May 1999 when he earned his Disability Awareness Badge and wrapped up Oct. 29 of this year when he cast a line in a Manatee pond to earn his Fly Fishing Badge. As a result, Hall is now in rarified air among Scouts.

About 900,000 boys are active in Scouting nationally, according to the Boy Scouts of America. More than 110 million boys have been affiliated with the organization since it was incorporated in 1910.

Fewer than 100 Scouts have ever earned the maximum number of badges in the organization's near-century of existence, according to Scout experts. Hall's feat may be a first for southwest Florida.

"It's extremely rare," said B.J. Maynard, a unit commissioner for the Scouts' Manatee County District and a 35-year veteran of the organization.

The Manatee district will honor Hall during its annual awards banquet Jan. 25.

Scouting is something of a family tradition in the Hall household.

Hall's father, Don, is Scoutmaster for his son's Troop 8 in Bradenton. Thomas Hall's two older brothers also were in the Scouts. All three earned the rank of Eagle Scout.

That accounts for his twice-yearly trips to Boy Scout camp, where participants can easily earn multiple badges for such outdoors skills as camping, fishing and rock climbing.

The idea behind merit badges is simple: Character comes from learning something new to achieve a goal. The number and types of merit badges have changed through the years but always have covered diverse subject matter.

Now Hall can hold his own in conversations ranging from coin collecting to nuclear science. He has molded fiberglass, which was harder than it sounds, Hall said. He has learned how to manage his personal finances, which he labeled a yawner.

Hall plans to attend Manatee Community College in the fall. In the shorter term, he has signed up to be an assistant scoutmaster.

However, his days with the organization are coming to an end, he said.

"I've done about as much as you can do in the Scouts," he said. "I'm going to try to work on my SAT scores right now."