Looking for a little guidance here. We've got a boy who is interested in working on the chemistry mb. He's a smart kid who seems to enjoy science a lot. However, he's 11 yo, in 6th grade, with limited prior exposure to chemistry. Last year he did the soil and water mb with a small group of older scouts, thinking it would be exciting (related to environmental science). It was pitched over his head and he ended up being bored. Although he finished the requirements and earned the badge, he seems to have been turned off to other environmental science type badges from this experience. I'm concerned that he might have a similar experience with this badge, which appears directed more toward high school aged boys. I'm thinking he might enjoy the chemistry mb more if he waited a bit.

Of course the final choice is his to make, but we'd like to give him some good advice. For those with experience with this mb, would you whole heartedly encourage him to pursue this one now, or would you suggest that he wait? Are there other science-themed mbs that you'd suggest instead? (he already has the reptile & amphibian and astronomy badges)

Thanks for the advice

Lisa'bob

I would show the boy the requirements, or better yet loan him a copy of the book from the troop library, and let him gauge whether or not he thinks he is ready. If he does not have a clue what many of the requirements are talking about, then I would suggest that he give it some more time as his knowledge broadens. If he thinks he can handle it, then I would encourage him in his pursuit.

Personally, after reviewing the requirements, I do not think they are beyond a bright, science-oriented child of middle-school age. It looks like chem-lite to me. An average high school chemistry student would not be severely challenged by the requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this one myself when I was in 7th grade and do not recall it being in any way over my head. Of course, I was heavily into science (having been a subscriber to Science Digest for 3 years already, Scientific American for 1 year, and reading both cover to cover every month - well, *trying* to read Scientific American cover to cover but usually getting lost in the first page or two of each article) and had been playing with my basement chemistry set for years. I could probably blow the average high scool Sophomore out of the water on the topic.

In any case...

If he is a boy who is heavily interested in science and reads a lot on his own on the side, it should be no problem at all.

If he is bright and interested in learning the field, it should be no problem, but he wil be slower than the older boys to learn and that must be accomodated.

If chemistry just sounds cool and he has no background or already established interest, it is probably too early for the best result.

My thoughts though are that the real problem with this (and the earlier Environmental Science badge) may be having him do a technical, "knowledge" badge with a group of older scouts who already have learned the material in class or al least have the background to grasp it quickly. His experience would be much better if he could do it with one or more scouts of his own level. It may have left him without sufficent learning time to grasp the matter, being inhibited by the presence of older, more intelligent scouts, and too little participation in the learning experience to feel he did anything more than listen to lectures.

I would suggest he recruit another boy of his age and that in more technical parts of the badge they be delt with seperately from the older scouts so they have more time to come to an understanding of the material and feel freer to stick their necks out with questions and answers.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. After talking with this young man a bit further I'd say he falls into e-scouter's 2nd category (bright, interested, but probably will need a little more time than some of the older boys who have had prior exposure). He decided to sign up for the chem badge at an upcoming mb fair, with an understanding that he might not finish the entire badge at the fair. Happily, a couple of other fairly young scouts (7th graders) also signed up for the same badge so they should be able to help each other out a bit.

Lisa'bob

This reminds me of a list of merit badges I saw once. It coded each badge as to difficulty and generalk age-appropriateness. I forget the precise categories, but for example, Basketry was "easy" and good for 10-11 year olds, Swimming was "physical" and appropriate for all ages, while Personal Management was "mature" and recommended for older scouts. The list was intended not to restrict any scout, but merely as a guide for MB counselors and adult mentors.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I can not remember where I came across this list.

Trevorum: I remember seeing such a list for our summer camp. Showed all merit badges offered, any prerequisites or money needed, and a guideline as to its difficulty and whether or not it could be completed at camp.

If anyone knows of some kind of all inclusive list somewhere, sure would like to get a copy.