We are having our first ever Scout planned/Scout run Court of Honor tonight. Scouts have planned an opening involving candles and the Scout Law. Rank awards are to be given highest first, then recipient of that rank will present the next lower rank, etc. SPL asked me to present merit badges since all the Scouts are receiving something and it seemed easier to have one person present them. Then he asked if I wanted to do a Scoutmaster Minute just before their closing (he did remind me that the SM Minute is ONLY a minute!).

It's wonderful to be asked to participate, rather than be expected to run the show.

This is the moment I've been working toward this past year. Scouts making the plan and carrying it out. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'd like to know what kind of Courts of Honor ceremonies y'all have had.

I feel your pride and joy sister!!! I know we discussed how long it takes to make this kind of "progress" in making the change from an adult to boy led troop in another thread in the recent past and I am experiencing a similar thing in my own troop too and it's a wonderous thing to behold!!

When I took over as Scoutmaster in 10/04, I told the boys that my goal for them was to have them totally plan and execute -1- major event by themselves within a years time...well, I didn't quite make it in 12 months but now, at 14 months it's happening. Next week we will be doing our annual holiday nursing home visit. We have a very neglected local place with generally about 80 or so residents and the committee approves a budget so we can get them all some gifts...(generally small personal care items, writing paper,pens, etc) We started discussing it a month ago, I said "Ok..who is going to step up and take the lead on this???" and immediately one scout said "I will!!" and he has really taken charge of it...called and made the arrangements with the home, made a list of needs and wants of the residents, got a local greenhouse to donate 25 poinsetta's..set up a date to do the shopping...asked several boys to help him...they went and got everything on Saturday and the boys put together the gift bags as part of their meeting last night. Other boys who play musical instrument brought them and practiced holiday music. I have seen less effort put into -Eagle- projects then the boys have put into this!! I'm thinking that I'd like to get a special gift of some sort to "commemorate" the excellent job in showing leadership that this boys had done with this project...hoping that it will inspire other boys to step up the next time!!

The boys are also working on their holiday party plans and planning a ski trip in January or February all on their own! Can you tell that I'm a proud of my boys????

Sue M.

I'd like to know what kind of Courts of Honor ceremonies y'all have had.

We keep the advancement "Scout Spirit Scavenger Hunt" work sheets, so that the Scout doesn't have to read from a card or memorize anything as he explains a point of Scout Law while lighting that candle. In this candlelight ceremony the SM Minute (actually only 30 seconds) is done at the beginning, in the darkness, just before the SPL lights the first candle. See The Inquiry Net:

http://www.inquiry.net/advancement/ceremonies/candlelight.htm

Kudu

gwd_scouter,

I am there too! I finally got the scouts to plan this next COH after nearly a year of trying. Previous administration usually did it all... but HOO BOY! its taken lots of patience and gentle prodding to get 'er done... and the SPL is my son! I'm trying not to badger him too much at home...

The PLC has come up with some novel ideas, one of which is to tape an envelopes under the chairs for each rank advancement, and whomever is sitting there reads out the names... then the SPL and ASPL will present the awards and say a little something.

They also are doing something of which they won't tell me, so I'm curious to see what that's all about ( luckily, I don't have to worry about unscoutlike stuff with these guys ) .

We are also doing our annual flag retirement after the COH and a 'chocolate potluck', per order of the PLC.

Should be fun!

They did it! I was actually moved to tears last night as I watched each Scout step up and light the candle for their point of the Scout Law. So quiet, so meaningful. The last point, A Scout is Reverent, was done by our Chaplain Aid and he then led the group in an opening prayer. Absolutely wonderful.

Of course, there were a few misteps along the way, presentations of awards a little awkward at times, but it was their plan and their ceremony and I was proud of them all. We are very furtunate to have a SPL with experience who doesn't mind "winging it" in front of a crowd. Best part for me - sitting in the back row and getting to watch the ceremony rather than conduct the ceremony.

It was also the first time in over a year that ALL of our Scouts were in attendance!

Loving this Scouting Thing!

Returning to this post... my guys did a very nice job on Monday with the first Scout-run COH. It went a lot smoother than I thought it would, as I thought they should have done more planning, but they managed to cover things pretty well, so I am pleased.

I had one scout who normally likes to keep quiet, stand up and volunteer to take on a task for next time. Hopefully I'll see more volunteers over the coming weeks.

Parents seemed pleased as well.

All in all, a good job.

Well, it turned out that they didn't do any 'surprise'. As I mentioned, they could have done a little better on the planning, so this is probably the reason it got dropped.

And as I also mentioned, they still did a good job anyway, so I am still pleased and looking forward to the next COH which I'll have them plan again.

Thanks for asking!