Summer camp 2014 "Reach for the skies"

Hello again! I've not posted much for a while as frankly there's not been much to say on "local" issues. However with our summer camp now over and batteries recharged I thought I'd resurface! This years summer camp was "short haul" after longer trips the last two years. We did a cycle tour round the local area. The centre piece was the scouts doing their aeronautics badge and taking control of a glider. Leaders got a go as well and frankly I found it terrifying! I'm quite happy with my feet firmly on terra firma. Anyway with flying being the centre piece there was only one Hollywood blockbuster we could possibly shoot a nod towards for this years musical montage.

Full photo gallery here http://12thcambridge.org.uk/scouts-summer-camp-2014-le-tour-de-cams/ Enjoy!

Wow. Very neat trip. A traveling summer camp. How was this organized? Who did the bulk of the itinerary and schedule?

And I notice (BSA take note) the uniform of the day seems to be a tshirt and a necker! And we can't get Scouts to wear the necker and make slides/woggles.

Wow. Very neat trip. A traveling summer camp. How was this organized? Who did the bulk of the itinerary and schedule?

And I notice (BSA take note) the uniform of the day seems to be a tshirt and a necker! And we can't get Scouts to wear the necker and make slides/woggles.

In terms of organisation and planning, basically we did it! We sat down with the PLs and talked about what was available within cycling distance and what they wanted to do. From then on it was a case of getting on the phone and asking the various venues when they could have us. It took a bit of juggling in order to get them arranged in an order that made for a reasonable cycling route. Most places are very scout friendly and were willing to pretty much bend over backwards for us!

As for uniform it's pretty much standard on camp to wear any old t-shirt and a necker. A lot of kids prefer a friendship knot to a woggle when on camp (partly because it makes the woggle harder to lose). We were asked to wear uniform shirts during the gliding at the request of the airfield so they can pick out guests from gliding club members.

The kids actually quite like the neckers. I don't know how it works your side of the atlantic but in any given district each group has its own colours for its necker. So it starts to become a little bit tribal, particularly at district and county events. Kids take real pride in their group colours! There was talk of getting rid of the necker around the millennium when the uniform was revamped but there was near insurrection from the kids. There is also real pride from those who get to wear the red, white and blue national necker because they have either done an international trip, been selected for the world jamboree or various other reasons. You can see a couple of them in bther video.....