Alternate Requirements for Swimming for Scout with MD

Fellow Scouters,

I'm a unit commissioner. I have a young Scout in one of my Troops who is handicapped as a consequence of MD. He can manage only to jump into water and make his way to the side of the pool. He cannot swim the distance required to pass the swimmers test. Can someone point me to the published text within the BSA that would deal with his handicapping situation. He's really trying to do the same things as the rest of the Scouts (who do not have any handicapping conditions). He wants to progress in the ranks but will not be able to pass the First Class swimming requirements. His Scoutmaster has asked me to advise on any alternate requirements which may apply. Thanks.

Yours in Scouting, Jim Costello, Unit Commissioner, Great Sauk Trail Council, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Hi Jim,

The BSA does not alter merit badges (see the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual, an excellent resource that all commissioners should familiarize themselves with), instead the BSA can offer an alternate badge. You should first contact the council advancement committee for assistance, Or contact Terry Lawson of the Boy Scout Advancement Division at the BSA national office.

BW

Jim-C, (taken from The Boy Scout Handbook 1998

Under First Class Rank Requirements 9b Successfully complete the BSA swimmer Test*( This requirement may be waived by the troop committee for medical or safety reasons.) Note: Alternate requirements for the First Class rank are available for Scouts with physical or mental disabilities if they meet the criteria listed in the Boy Scout Requirements book #33215. Is the scout registered as a special need scout ? See other treads on working with Kids with disablities.

nldscout, Your correct....grab the wrong copy... I stand corrected, Thank you.

Yet, Scout with Special Needs, has an Individual Scout Achievement Plan, which must be approved by the Troop Committee, Scoutmaster, then approved by District Advancement Committee, than by the Council Advancement Committee ;which will allow for this type of wavier.

Dear Scouter Friends,

Thanks for the replies so far. What I understand is:

1. There are alternatives to the First Class rank swimming requirements, but

2. The unit needs to seek approval from the local Council Advancement Committee first.

Can you cite the printed BSA reference pamphlet or manual so that I might read the exact wordage on this issue? That's the part that I will most need to pursue the issue in the boy's interest further.

YIS, Jim Costello, Unit Commissioner, GST Council #255, Ann Arbor, Michigan