Den Chiefs offered

I had a very positive experience last night. Because the calendar was pretty full and event space is quite rare, we combined our pack Christmas party with the troop Christmas party. It was awesome. The Boy Scouts had games set up all around the room, and there was a dessert table in the middle. The boys had a great time. Santa arrived and gave each cub a compass for his eight essentials and a pinewood derby kit.

I got the chance to meed the Scout master, and he offered me a den chief! I couldn't believe it. It was awesome. He said he didn't actually have a scout in mind, but the troop seems to run out of leadership positions for their scouts, so if he could send some boys over as den chiefs, it might help them progress toward their rank.

I'm very excited about this. I've read about den chiefs, but I never knew how to go about getting one. My first thought is to ask him to teach my second-graders (wolves) to tie square knots. It's a little amazing that they don't know how to tie, but my own son has been wearing velcro shoes since kindergarten, so its not really surprising that he doesn't know how to tie anything.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my news.

That's great news. It's exactly that kind of shared event that helps people think of how to help the pack.

Hope the boy they send you puts in that extra hour a week. But, even if he can make it sometimes, it's a huge help. Just make sure he checks in ahead of time, and let the SM know if he's AWOL. Hint: summer camp is so much more manageable with den chiefs, it's worth footing their bill.

Boy scouts and the age of velcro ... don't be surprised if your den chief has to read up on that square knot!