Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who runs District Committee when Chairman steps down ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who runs District Committee when Chairman steps down ?

Our district chairman has stepped down.

I thought I read that either the District Commissioner, or the District Executive temporarily steps in to do his duties..? or is it someone else ?

can anyone point me to the place where is says who does what when the District Chairman resigns/steps down ?

Seem to remember reading someplace that if there isn't a Vice-Chair the District Nominating Chair steps in until a new Chair is selected.
    Most times one of the other District Chairs will take the job on a temp basis.
    The District Commissioner and the DE should never take on the job.
    Commissioners need to take care of units and DE's have their own agenda.
    Ea.

Comment

In my district, it would be our Vice-Chairman, as outlined in the Handbook for District Operations (see p. 7)

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/34739.pdf

Unfortunately, all the other literature I can find is silent as to what to do. I assume you convene the nominating committee in a special meeting, and fill the vacancy ASAP, but I'm not sure how, absent a special meeting of the district (incluing Charter Reps and Members at Large).

Comment

Per our CEx.... it is the District Commissioner...

since the District Chairman is a volunteer, then the DC is the next highest volunteer... temporarily taking the position.

Comment

Depends.

I've seen it where the Vice chair takes over.

I've seen it where the District commissioner does a fair bit of the job.

And I knwo I had to do a very large share of the job when my Chair resigned when I was a DE.

"Ashes to ashes
          Dust to dust,
          When volunteers don't
          Professionals must."

Comment

It's not like they're carrying the nuclear football.... How long does it take to get a new one? Is it a big deal who runs the committee meetings for a coule months?

Comment

Depending upon the situation, yes it is a big deal. In the situation I was one, a lot of the go to people in the community to be Chair would not do it b/c of relations with the SE and DFS. One person asked if the SE was still SE, and when I said yes, was told "H377 NO!

However, they did have a champagne party I am told when the SE left, and those folks got back involved when the DFS followed shortly thereafter.

Comment

Working...
              X