I have never seen a BSA required amount of square footage for a tent.... besides BSA does not specify the required size of a Scout.. :)

I do have to report on my BSA physical for I am exceeding the allowed gravity specification for my height.

A quick Google search hitting some camping guides for long-term summer camps of 30 square feet per scout, which probably coincides with a 5'x6' area which is 1/2 of a canvas wall tent.

Most Scout tents are 2-man tents, roughly 30-50 square feet depending on the size.

The better questions are: "How many Scouts do we intend to take camping, how much can we spend, and what can we get for that?"

Square feet requirements has to do with long term resident camp. Troops doing weekend camping, and trips where you are moving every day [backpacking/canoeing/etc.]; do not have to worry about it. Troops that do their own summer camp, or use their own tents at a summer camp; could be require to have so many square feet per camper. However, unless you get an order from your state health department; I would not be concern about it.

As T185 has said, the standards are part of the BSA National Camping Standards for Resident Camps. It is Standard M-85 (M means Mandatory)

"Each camper is provided with a minimum of 30 square feet of sheltered

space for sleeping and storing personal gear. This does not

apply to outpost or off-camp camping or unit-supplied tentage.

All camp-provided and unit-provided tentage used in the

camp meets or exceeds fire-retardant specifications by the

manufacturer (CPAI-84) and no flames in tent is marked on,

or adjacent to, each tent.

All campers have clean quarters reasonably safe from inclement

weather, and comfortable bedding."

http://www.trcbsa.org/TRC_Committees/Camping%20Minutes/Camping_Minutes0910/430%20-%20311%202010%20Res%20Standards.pdf (see page 17)

But, as you see - it does not apply to unit supplied tentage, so your troop tents do not have to comply with this standard.

Gary,

When our troop bought new tents, the committee set a new policy. No duffels or backpacks allowed in the tent. They were to be kept in the tent vestibule or outside under a rain cover or in a trash bag.

Worked very well. No gear strewn all over the place, no damage and on occasion, a four man tent sleeps four men.

We found that larger tents tended to collect Scouts in them, kept them up longer, made more noise, and allowed for more secretive activities (what kind of card game are you playing in there?)

Hence, we do all two-man tents with two zippers and two vestibules. Works great for us.

raisinemright, "When our troop bought new tents, the committee set a new policy. No duffels or backpacks allowed in the tent. They were to be kept in the tent vestibule or outside under a rain cover or in a trash bag."

Some committee just really don't know what their responsibilities really are.

Oak Tree, "We found that larger tents tended to collect Scouts in them, kept them up longer, made more noise, and allowed for more secretive activities (what kind of card game are you playing in there?)"

We sure would not like the boys to have us time, where they can bond, stay up all night tell stories and Jokes, make lots of noise, or just have some fun playing games. Its all a matter of knowing your YM and trusting them to make good choices on their own.

(This message has been edited by Gary_Miller)(This message has been edited by Gary_Miller)

Our troop purchases 4 man tents. Promotes members of a patrol living together. New scouts have a couple of buddies in the tent to keep the boogie man away. Less tents the troop has to maintain for a small incremental cost per tent. Example: 5 four-man tents versus 10 two man tents. We have a few 2-man left over from years ago but they are worn and seldom used.

My son is a moose. He started reaching moose size early (6th grade with size 14 wide feet). He also has a tendency to move when sleeping. Two man tents were very uncomfortable for him, especially if his tent mate was similarly sized. Troop tents were Coleman with no vestibules so gear was in tent with you, or outside in garbage bags (not very convenient for access to stuff when in tent).

Unless you have small boys, or very slightly built guys, the rule of thumb for most tents housing normal sized folks, is to go one person down from what the manufacturer states is the tent capacity. So a two man tent would be for one, and a four man is really good for only three.

I think your best bet is to get some 2-man for the smaller Scouts, and some 3, or 4-man for the older/bigger Scouts.

Gary: We sure would not like the boys to have us time, where they can bond, stay up all night tell stories and Jokes, make lots of noise, or just have some fun playing games. Its all a matter of knowing your YM and trusting them to make good choices on their own.

Well, I have an award for people who put things in other people's mouths. All I did was relate my experience, but hey, feel free to mock me all you want.

Do you always trust all of your young men to make good choices in all situations? Never have to ask any of your Scouts to quiet down when other Scouts are trying to get to sleep? Ok, good for you.

The two-man tents do work great for backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, and essentially, all of our activities. Then we let our young men have all kinds of time to bond, tell stories and jokes, makes noise, and play games. God forbid they do it somewhere other than their tents.

Yes 30 sq ft of tent space per person is required by many BSA summer (resident) camps (see infoscouter's post).

Funny thing, I was told during training that it was a state (Michigan) law but I doubt it and have not confirmed it either way.

summer camp law in Michigan:

"(4) A person shall be provided with not less than 30 square feet of floor space in permanent sleeping quarters in a

residential camp building.

(5) When tents are used as sleeping quarters, and when they remain in 1 location for more than 5 days, not less than

30 square feet of floor space shall be provided for each person.

LICENSING RULES FOR

CHILDRENS AND ADULT

FOSTER CARE CAMPS

Effective Date: 5/4/2009

BUREAU OF

CHILDREN AND ADULT LICENSING

STATE OF MICHIGAN

Department of Human Services