Over the weekend I was invited to attend two Eagle Scout Rank COH's.

I have known both Lads from when they joined as little fellows. I really do like both of them, they are both super kids.

It was strange to see the differences in the two Troops.

Both Lads were the sons of the Scoutmasters. Two very different men.

On Saturday we went to the Troop where OJ had been a member. Sad to say it is dying. There were a lot of adults there but only one Boy Scout youth member. Dad the SM, is a willing soul who came in a couple of years back when there wasn't a SM. He took whatever training he needed to get by, but there never was any real fire in his belly. In the background they have an old ex-Scoutmaster, who was in another troop. It seems that he has forgot everything that he ever knew about how the program works and has a goal to make every Scout an Eagle. Still he was the only person at the COH in full uniform.

It was very clear from the start that everyone was looking to this guy to lead the way. The ceremony was OK, but nothing to write home about. A bunch of adults reading stuff, some of which was emotional hogwash.

Sunday we went to the other COH.

The Troop is a small one, I never remember it being any other way. They have about a dozen Scouts. But it's a good little troop. Many of the Scouts had just returned from our Council Religious Retreat and most were in full uniform. The Scouts did the ceremony. I don't remember ever seeing so many candles!! It was so much nicer.

OJ went with me on Saturday, he knows the Lad and they were at one time pals.

Strange thing was that he didn't come on Sunday - He was working on his Eagle project!! The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Eamonn