Camping and other Merit Badge Questions

This is a tricky issue. I would say for the camping nights requirement to count since joining the troop. Though for most requirements I would count only since starting the badge. As an example, I once read through the Chemistry MB requirements. I realised that I had pretty much done every requirement a couple times over. However, the general opinion I got when I asked about this was that only things done since starting the MB should be counted. Otherwise I could have counted stuff I did in a Chem lab 3 years earlier before I even realised there was a Chemistry MB. I would also say a key determanent is how easily can the requirment be repeated, and how long ago was it done. If for example someone is working on Nuclear Power or whatever it is and needs to visit a Nuclear plant, and the nearest one is 4 hours away, and they just went on a field trip to it for school last week, I think I would count it.

Now the double dipping is intersting. I think I would be inclined to count it for both. Though I haven't read up on those badges so that is just a first impression.

Hi KS,

I do not know of any general policy against what some call "double dipping" in advancement. The are a few specific restrictions such as between the two merit badges you mentioned. But that rule is specific to that situation. If for instance you were the counselor for both those merit badges for a scout, would you require him to explain the same information that is requirement one of both Meritbadges two times to you in order to satisfy both merit badges?

Using the same work for more than one merit badge is not prohibited as long as 1)the merit badge requirements do not specifically prohibit it, and 2) the work satisfies the requirements as presented in the handbook.

Artificial rules do not enhance the program.

Bob White